FlyBe to be bought by Virgin Atlantic

The low-cost carrier called “FlyBe”, has struggled with costs for a while now. And whether you are a FlyBe fan, or just someone looking for a fast and affordable way to get from point A to point B, this may come to you as bad news.

Some main reasons are Brexit, fuel, cost of maintaining/ordering planes, and being a small airline.

With Brexit, new aviation regulations will be introduced for all British airlines, which includes FlyBe. So why does this specifically make FlyBe a vulnerable target? Well because, it has many routes and partnerships with airlines in the rest of Europe, which will most likely bring differences in how things are done, which could make them lose a lot of money.

Fuel is something that isn’t cheap for any airline, and can be even harder if you are a budget/low-cost airline. FlyBe uses US Dollars (USD) to buy their fuel, and since the rising cost of fuel, it has made it even harder for them to purchase fuel, and keep up with other expenses.

With airlines comes planes, and with planes comes maintenance. FlyBe has actually been getting rid of some of their planes so they can make good profit, but since they have reduced some of their planes, they had to remove some routes, even ones that were profitable for the airline.

And lastly, they are a small airline. Being a smaller airline than most low-cost carriers in Europe, means less money for daily expenses and maintenance.

With Virgin Atlantic buying out FlyBe, this decision could be profitable for them, as it gives them a way to have regional service in Europe, instead of them just being an airline of only long hauls.

So what do you think about this move? What do you think about seeing FlyBe’s former fleet in Virgin Atlantic colors, and the possibility of adding Boeing or Airbus aircraft to the fleet? In my opinion, I think it will be cool, but I will mis FlyBe’s Purple livery.

Credits to DJ’s Aviation for supplying the information.

(More information down below)

15 Likes

Wow, really sad to hear this sad news…

1 Like

It is indeed.

1 Like

No, it’s not really sad news! FlyBe was in danger of going bankrupt, and VA saved them!

I think he means because they (FlyBe) will no longer exist.

I think this will be good for Virgin Atlantic. They can start to expand their smaller “European” routes with this buy. Despite them already being a big competitor in the international routes all over the world like Los Angeles and Johannesburg.

1 Like

Maybe Virgin can do a tribute livery with one of the aircraft, since it is sad for FlyBe, but also great, as they won’t go bankrupt.

1 Like

I have flown with Flybe from Southampton to Alicante, and I must say it was a great flight. I am wondering what Virgin Atlantic will do to the airline.

1 Like

As long as VA don’t get rid of any routes from Cardiff, I’m fine with it.

1 Like

Well VA is a great airline, hopefully they carry that over to fly be. I think VA will probably create a subsidy with the fleet since it is different than what they operate.

1 Like

It was sad until Virgin Atlantic brought them. Apparently before they were losing about £7000 an hour source : mirror

1 Like

They’re renaming the Airline from Flybe. Virgin Atlantic have a 30% Share along with Stobart Group and 40% Cyrus.

1 Like

FlyBe are BEing strong

1 Like

So what will the name be?

Name hasn’t been released yet but they might decided not to rename it

1 Like

FlyBe might not be Flybe after all and I liked that name

1 Like

Here is what the Q400 looks in the virgin livery
Template med

2 Likes

Looks great, but isn’t there supposed to be more red at the back of the fuselage?

1 Like

Thanks but it’s hard to add it cause it’s such a small plane

Well we can see. :)
It’s always hard until you have a final product.

1 Like