Fly.akm’s ATC Tracking Thread - [CLOSED] @ N/A

Welcome to my ATC Tracking Thread!

Status & Info:

Airport Frequencies Runway/s in Use Focus Point
XXXX Ground & Tower XX XXXX

About Me:

Hi! My name’s Ahmed, I’m 14, and I plan on joining IFATC sometime in July to August!

My motivation:

My motivation for joining IFATC is because of something I’ve marveled at for 3 whole years, my home airport’s ATC tower.

OEJN, otherwise known as Jeddah International Airport, recently built a new terminal, with one stunning ATC tower, one of the tallest in the world, at a whopping 136 meters high, controlling aircraft in and out of my home airport.

Seeing this beauty outside of my bedroom window motivated me to replicate the exact experience in Infinite Flight all over the world.

My ambition:

I have the ambition to ace both my written and practical with top marks, I also plan on being one of IFATC’s fastest recruits, with the time to beat of 4 hours. I hope to cruise through the ranks with the hard work being put in and be in the top 5 activity percentage.

Study Guide

To ensure I am proficient in all parts of IFATC, I’ve created a simplified manual to insert my understanding, definitions, and feedback.

Please click here if you wish to make edits if my notes are inaccurate, add comments, or simply see it.

Ping List:

@Julien_Narayanasawmy
@Airborne_Canuck
@Steven_Tellmann
@Shane
@Darius_Glover
@SierraHotel
@Deakin
@Collins4486
@nicopizarro
@JulietTango
@HappyDays
@LordWizrak
@Marquatzi
@TheAaron
@Suhas
@MJP_27
@JulianQ
@StefH
@Kedz
@Gritz

Open Format

Open at XXXX

Airport Frequencies Runway/s in Use Focus Point
XXXX Ground & Tower XX X

Notams:

• XXX
  • XXX
  • XXX

Open until XXX

Ping List:

@Julien_Narayanasawmy
@Airborne_Canuck
@Steven_Tellmann
@Shane
@Darius_Glover
@SierraHotel
@Deakin
@Collins4486
@nicopizarro
@JulietTango
@HappyDays
@LordWizrak
@Marquatzi
@TheAaron
@Suhas
@MJP_27
@JulianQ
@StefH
@Kedz
@Gritz

Thank you for viewing my thread!

If you’d like to be added to the ping list, just reply asking!

13 Likes

Add me to your ping list. ;)

7 Likes

You can add me. I’ll pop in when I can.

2 Likes

Add me to your ping list too!

1 Like

Feel free to add me too!

1 Like

Done! Can’t wait to see you all when I open!

1 Like

You can add me. I’ll have limited availability these two weeks but I’ll try to pop in if available!

1 Like

Add me to feedback format

1 Like

Have me added to the ping list too!

1 Like

There’s no feedback format list, it was just a preferred template, if you’d like I can add you to the ping list.

Added! I hope to see you guys!

You can add me to the ping list

1 Like

You can add me to your ping list!

1 Like

Added! Thank you guys!

1 Like

Update #1

I have successfully finished throughly studying the Introduction and Ground Manuals on the guide. I feel quite confident, but have a few questions listed though. If anyone could answer them I’d appreciate!

1. We both know how the blank part behind the threshold on some airports counts as takeoff & taxi ground, if a pilot requests cross runway and doesn’t know that it’s taxiable ground, do I say continue taxi or approve their crossing?

2. When I issue a back taxi, let’s say I use 24/6, and the pilot needs to depart at 24, but he needs to backtaxi from 6, do I tell him to backtaxi on runway 24 or 6?

3. How do I use the METAR and TAF to decide which runways should be in use? I know how to read both, and how to identify the wind conditions, but how do I apply them to the runways I need to use? I’d appreciate if you guys could drop an example.

Here’s the Study Guide/Notes document I use if you’d like to add any comments or tips & tricks.

1 Like

Any part of a runway, even behind it counts as a runway. So you would need to instruct them to cross. Even on those parts of the runway, there is a hold short line which always indicates that the “Cross runway XX” is needed.

Also, I don’t fully understand the question about back taxiing, but you would only tell them to back taxi the runway that is in use for departures.

Say the METAR is 27012KT. 270 = heading wind is coming from. 12K = 12 knots of wind. Say you have runwnay 25 and 7. 270 is closer to 250 than 070, so 250 is the best option.

I am not yet IFATC, so if anyone smarter than me has a better explanation, please do say it.

2 Likes
  1. I’ve got no clue what you’re trying to ask, though if you’re asking if they can cross that part behind the threshold, that’s part of the runway as well. So, tell them to cross.

2. It depends on the traffic, as the back taxi command usually is just used for back taxi and line up. Though I believe it’s back taxi the runway in use, and line up, in that case, back taxi 24.
    Usually, you’d just say takeoff 24, since back taxi doesn’t give the full clearance, and telling them to take off that specific runway is to see if the pilots are really listening.

3. So basically, what I imagine for the metar winds, is if it’s a direction closer to one side of the runway than the other, use that closer runway. Like say you have a runway that’s 24/06. The wind is 170 at 9. You would generally use 24, since it’s closer to the headwind.

1 Like
  1. I would just give them a cross runway. In most situations that area of the runway isn’t meant to be crossed without permission. It will in-fact cause a go around, hence the hold short bars.

2. Back taxi is a tricky command. I’ve only had to use it a few times. Simply clearing an aircraft for takeoff allows them to back taxi if needed. This prevents confusion whether or not they need more runway distance since it’ll be at pilot’s discretion.

3. My advice for selecting runways in use is spawning a aircraft at the airport your about to open. As long as it makes sense dependent on the runway heading, and not excessive with a tailwind.

Here are two great topics made by @Shane. To summarize, if you predict the pilots, have good situational awareness, and prevent conflicts, your road to IFATC will be a huge success.

3 Likes

Check, cross runway even if on taxiable ground as it’s part of the runway.

This is the golden answer, basically have the tower take charge of the back-taxi by clearning takeoff. Check.

What if they have to cross a runway that doesn’t have a one way exit, as if they cross, but don’t go the same heading to finish the cross, they have to literally taxi to another exit north/south of the runway, do I just issue a crossing?

So let’s say for example, I take I’ve got 24010KT at LAX, do I use 24L, 24R, 25R, and 25L?

I think I’d use this as a double checker, the two methods above seem more realistic and accurate.

Pretty much.

1 Like