Flight Planning

I want to start making my flight plans more realistic. I want to start using the departure, approach, and arrival features. I looked up Infinites Video but I am still confused. Can anyone help me on how to work these features. Please let me know, thank you!

Use FlightAware or Simbrief, really whatever, find route, copy, paste into search box, and fill in SIDs/STARs.

5 Likes

What specifically are you confused with?

1 Like

Also, to find procedures into an airport, click the airport on the map and click on PROC at the bottom to find them. They will then appear on the map and you can select the ones of your choice :)

1 Like

I just need help with selecting the right waypoints and routes.

You can use Flight Plan Database for that.

1 Like

Hello there!
The FPL will usually be as follows:

ICAO

SID (Dep Procedure)

FPL waypoints (fpltoif.com/SimBrief gives you these)

Arrival

Approach

ICAO

Some airports may not have SIDs or STARs, in which case you only use Approach procedures when arriving.

Some of these include transitions (flying over the airport) and some include missed approach waypoints.

If a Waypoint doesn’t look right, you can just remove it. (Map, Map+FPL (BottomRight), Minus (-)

You can also add Waypoints between Arrival and Approaches, to make a smoother transition.

To find procedures, click on the airport ICAO, then press “Procedures” on the bottom tab.

You don’t have to use procedures, but they are realistic and recommended at Busy Airports.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask if there is anything else you want to know.

4 Likes

Ok. Use FpltoIF and that usually gives you the SID’s and STAR’s for the flight

1 Like

Just be careful with FpltoIF because it isn’t always accurate with STARS. I use FlightRadar 24 and Flightplandatabase.

2 Likes

If you don’t want to use Third Parties you can do this:

1: Go to the departures (SIDs), find the list of the ones going to the direction you want (ex: North West), then select all of them to see how they look and choose the one you prefer, making sure it is compatible with the runway you want to take off from.

2: Before adding the waypoints, take a look at the arrivals and do the same thing you did in the previous step just to know where your FPL has to go. Make sure to delete the arrival before starting filling waypoints.

3: Start filling waypoints between the end of the departure and the start of the arrival, I usually put a waypoint every +/-50nm but this is up to you.

4: Go back to the arrivals page and select the arrival you chose before.

5: For the approach, I recommend you to use ILS approaches, but depends on the flight. If you want to do an ILS approach at runway 32L for example, you have to select I32LZ (I ==> ILS, 32L ==> runway, Z==> straight in (I’m not sure about this last one, but it’s direct entry)). Then, if it asks you for a transition, select the last waypoint of your arrival if it’s available.

I hope this is useful :)

1 Like

I am currently cruising at my cruise altitude. In the AP section it says VNAV and a distance. When that distance is 0nm do I engage VNAV and it will start my descent?

1 Like

I recommend SimBrief. It helps a lot with long haul routes. Just put in which airports your flying in and out of and it will automatically generate a flight plan.

1 Like

I am currently cruising at my cruise altitude. In the AP section it says VNAV and a distance. When that distance is 0nm do I engage VNAV and it will start my descent?

1 Like

I usually engage it at cruising altitude. You can engage it anytime unless you’re climbing. So you can descend when you are supposed to.

1 Like

So currently under VNAV it says 230nm, and when it gets to zero do I engage it and it will start my descent from my cruising altitude. I currently am cruising so LNAV is engaged.

You can engage it right now, once it hits 0, it will start to descend for you.

1 Like

Oh ok so even mid-flight I can engage but it will start the descent when it is supposed to.

1 Like

Yes, I am flying right now too and I have my VNAV engaged. It will automatically descend for you to the altitude you put in to your flight plan, or procedures you do.

1 Like

That was extremely helpful, thank you so much!

1 Like

No problem! Glad to help. :)

1 Like