Flight planning document

Hello there, happy new year to you all. I just wanted to share my flight planning document that I use for every single flight I do. I used to write it all down manually, that took too long though, now I pre wrote a template and print one out for every flight. It’s got some information missing, some info you may not need/care about, but it’s there if you want to use it :)

Also going to use this opportunity to say thank you for the amazing support on my first youtube video. I know I promised a second one a while back but holidays and Uni Exams pushed that back. Working on one now though! If you haven’t seen it, click here!

For those asking, here is how to fill it out:
Section A - Basic Information
Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 16.11.19
The top of the table shows the basic info about the flight
Dep ICAO: The ICAO code of your departure airport (e.g.: EDDM for Munich, EGLL for Heathrow etc.)
Arr ICAO: The ICAO code of your arrival airport
Aircraft and Callsign: The Aircraft you will be flying with (e.g. A350-900) and the callsign you will be using to be identified and communicated with
Day and Date: This I added more for flying for VAs when the PIREP requires the date of the flight, but I still fill it out anyways

Section B: Departure Information

Listed here is all necessary and interesting information about your departure
Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 16.11.27
If you use SIDs (Standard Instrument Departure - I use them every time, I highly recommend them for a more realistic flying experience) then the right side of this is dedicated to it
The Table shows:
WP: Waypoint
H: Heading
DME: ‘Distance measuring equipment’ (the distance to the next waypoint
ALT: Desired Altitude to be reached at Waypoint
V/S: Vertical Speed used to reach the Alt
S: The speed
IMPORTANT: Check SID for any speed/altitude restrictions
There is quite a lot of space and most SIDs don’t require many Waypoints, so I use the rest of the space to coordinate step climbing.
T/F: Trim and Flaps setting for takeoff
The rest is pretty obvious I think. If not, don’t hesitate to ask!

Section C: The 'Good to know section’

Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 16.11.38
This section I mainly use for medium to long hauls, although I fill it out for every flight. Knowing the winds, your remaining fuel, and time to Dest is important so you can leave your device during cruise at a safe status. This brings me to the last part of this section, the:
Absent Time: This is the time I stay absent of my device before I have to return to prepare for arrival (usually I return about 50 minutes prior to landing)
Tip: Set a timer equal to your calculated absent time so you do not forget to return (or oversleep in case of an overnight long haul)

Section D: Arrival Information

Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 16.11.46
It has the same concept of Section B (above).
Something new:
BTV: Brake to Vacate, is the taxiway at which you plan to leave the runway. During events and busy fly ins, this is helpful to especially the ATC, as you will then apply sufficient reversers and brake for the exit at the desired taxiway, possible doing a high speed exit in case of an aircraft on final.

Section E: Checklists

This section corresponds directly to the App ‘Infinite Flight Checklists’. Tick each one of after completion to ensure a safe flight.

PIREP and Screenshot
These were added for the flights you may or may not fly for VAs or VOs where a PIREP, and in some cases a screenshot, is required for the flight to count to your status.

That’s it! Any questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

26 Likes

WOW.

I can honestly only say that this is amazing. And with amazing stuff, comes great effort: How long did it take you to make this?

2 Likes

Brilliant! Thanks man:)

3 Likes

P.D. Can you make a tutorial on how to fill it? Because I am confused.

1 Like

Umm like 30 minutes?

I used to write it all in a cute little notebook, quite nice because I know have a collection of all the flights I’ve done so far :)

Moving on in time, I just kept adding information that was useful to know/calculate so it never used to be this in-depth :)

1 Like

No problem, my pleasure!

1 Like

I think it might be if you just ask me what confuses you? Then I’ll let you know and add it as information in the topic.

1 Like

WOW. It’s a great document. Bravo @Mike_Lima_Tango

1 Like

Hi!

Amazing document!! Thanks you a lot.

Can I suggest you to send us a Flight Planning filled? So it makes me an idea how to write it in some white spaces.

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Pelayo

2 Likes

Merci Jeremy!

2 Likes

Very nice - loads of detail that I’ve never logged before - and now wonder if I should have been for my own info!

2 Likes

Alright everyone, all information about how to fill in the document has been added. For any further questions don’t hesitate to ask!

3 Likes

Cheers Naz!

2 Likes

You rock!

Que crack! (You rock)

1 Like

Thanks! That’s amazing 😉

1 Like

My Pleasure!

2 Likes

Wow, I’m definitely bookmarking this lol

1 Like

Please do! And happy anniversary!

Wait what? I didn’t even notice lol and I haven’t even been on here for over a week

1 Like

Thank you very much @Mike_Lima_Tango ! I al very grateful you with your explanation.

Regards

Pelayo

1 Like