Flight Physics question: Is density altitude modeled in IF?

Does anyone know if changes in density altitude and the effect density altitude has on aircraft performance is modeled in IF? I notice that the air pressure metric on the information bar at the bottom of the screen never seems to change.

If the answer is no, this might be an opportunity to improve the sim. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yes. It is.

1 Like

Well it is easier to stall at higher altitudes in IF. Done it myself with too much load.

2 Likes

Yes, as mentioned already.
The main thing where you notice this, is the high ground speed with relative low airspeed at high altitude.

It does have density altitude modelling but it’s the same model everywhere in global. 10,000ft MSL in place X has the same density as 10,000ft MSL in place Y.

EDIT: I think this same concept applies to real life, density remains unchanged even at different places.

I don’t think all are getting what density altitude is…

1 Like

Density Altitude Folks:https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/library/documents/2011/Aug/56396/FAA%20P-8740-02%20DensityAltitude[hi-res]%20branded.pdf

1 Like

I wonder why the pressure metric at the bottom of the screen never changes?

I did some flight tests a few months back to find out, here are the results:

Here you go:

Airport: KHND
Runway: 17R
Airplane: Cessna 172S
-3 PAX
-74 kg Fuel
-14kg cargo
Total Weight 1,603 kg

First attempt:
Visibility 50km, Wind 000/00, No Gust, No turbulence, Temp 15 Celsius
Full power, rotate 55KIAS, Flaps 0
-Rotated just at 1000 footers. Able to achieve 74KIAS climb out. 750-850 fpm climb to 5,500 MSL.

Second Attempt:
Visibility 50km, Wind 000/00, No Gust, No turbulence, Temp 40 Celsius
Full power, rotate 55KIAS, Flaps 0
-Rotated at back end of 1000 footers. Tougher to gain 74KIAS, but still able. 600-650 fpm climb to 5,500 MSL.

Third Attempt:
Visibility 50km, Wind 000/00, No Gust, No turbulence, Temp 70 Celsius
Full power, rotate 55 KIAS, Flaps 0
-Rotation approx halfway down runway, unable to achieve 74 KIAS while maintaining positive climb. Able to maintain 64 KIAS with 50 fpm climb.

Fourth Attmpt:
Visibility 50km, Wind 000/00, No Gust, No turbulence, Temp -90 Celsius
Full power, rotate 55 KIAS, Flaps 0
-Rotated incredibly quickly, maybe in 400 feet? 74 KIAS easily achieved, 1000+ fpm climb out.

My take: temperature as a single variable does have an impact on airplane performance in Infinite Flight. However, the difference in performance from 15 Celsius to 40 Celsius should have been far more dramatic. Attempt 3 and 4 were done to test performance differences at wide (and unrealistic) temperature variances. As predicted, performance did improve with colder temperatures, though not at a rate consistent with real world values.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.