I did a very nice formation flight from KCLE to KAZO. Here’s a micro clip with an impression. Thanks to @Jersey_Paul and @mac104 for your great company, and for @Boodz_G and @Plane-Train-TV for the ATC services.
A few tips for those wanting to do a flight of x
- find a way to communicate on a separate device. Monitor this communication constantly
- change your callsign in IF to ‘flight of 2’ (or 3 whatever the size of your group is)
- I recommend you avoid busy airports and stay away from event hubs.
- if possible, inform the ATC
- agree on the leader and make sure you copy the flight plan from the leader
- agree on takeoff climb rate, cruise altitude, climb rate to cruise, airspeed
- agree on when to all switch to Ground, Tower ATC etc
- only the leader communicates with the ATC. The rest follows the leader.
- instructions from the ATC to the leader, are for all of you. This includes taxi, takeoff, landing, etc
- leader to maintain constant communication with the other(s) about speed, descent rate, heading, everything
- have some fun at cruise and make screenshots
- when on base and final try and land as closely together as possible (1 NM seperation).
- wait for eachother after landing, on the taxi way. Be quick- you don’t want to hold up others.
- when all on Ground, leader requests taxi to parking
For more, watch this great tutorial.