Flight descent

Hello there, I wanted to ask what happens when I am not there during a flight descent phase when it’s on A/P. Happened with me I was having my dinner and my phone was upstairs and the flight started to descend and my speed was mach 0.84 (777-300ER) and I noticed that plane just makes circles at 10020 ft. unless the speed is below 260 knots below 10000 ft !! Is this a feature ?

1 Like

Hello. This happens if you are going too fast for a sharp turn (base, final), so the plane can’t make the turn and keeps going around and trying the turn again. This results in circles.

3 Likes

Ohh !! Thanks for replying…but there was no sharp turn in my flight plan…my plane just deviated from its route and started making circles and a speed warning came up…I think that planes makes circles and stay on altitude unless speed is below 260 KTS below 10,000

3 Likes

This can’t be right because one time I did a flight from KLAX-KATL and I had Vnav on and it descended normally and I was on the decent phase but was sleeping so it was below 10000 with a speed above 260kts and got a level 3 violation.

Happened to me today, 777-300ER KSFO-KBOI.
After contacting FIR permission to descend fl31 to fl21 I set ALT 21000ft V/S 700…

no VNAV

…but the plane just keeps descending way passed 21000ft until it almost reached the 10000ft mark at 320kts so I had to regain manual control and re-do the A/P.

An interesting note though, I had internet problem and was offline for a while during the incident, could this be related?

Also experienced plane going in circles not following a straight waypoint awhile back but that was on a 737.

1 Like

Yes…same thing with my 777-300ER WIII->JEDDAH my plane was circling at 10,020 feet as it was above 260 KNOTS