Flight altitude error from New Delhi to Chicago

Good morning folks, I was doing a flight on United Airlines flight 713 from New Delhi to Chicago O’Hare and the flight time was supposed to be 17hrs 15mins and was supposed to arrive at 9:40 AM EDT. However, I landed at 7:00 AM 2hrs 40mins early due to the fact that I must’ve flown at odd altitudes going west instead of even altitudes. I don’t know how I made that mistake. As anyone experience making that mistake before? Let me know in the comments below. This would help me a lot.

If you were flying over the Atlantic, there likely was a strong tailwind pushing you across the pond.

However, I don’t know what to say if you were flying polar.

Well, I was flying polar over Greenland and looking at flightaware, the flight in real life was at the even altitude and doesn’t arrive until 9:40 AM and I’m almost three hours early at ORD airport. Maybe if I was flying at even altitude, I would’ve been in the air by now until 9:00 AM is when I will descend and arrive. I was going west

Wind doesn’t discriminate against those flying at odd or even altitudes. The direction you do does. The difference of a couple of thousand feet doesn’t often equate to a hundred knots headwind and a hundred knots tailwind in exactly opposite directions. If this was the case, flying would definitely be a lot more turbulent and bumpy than it is right now.

Flying west will most likely have you fly into the jetstream, thereby having a lower groundspeed due to the increased headwind. However, the profile of these jetstreams can and do change on a daily basis with the ideal routing being different each time. Not to mention, it isn’t something that is perfectly blowing east all around the world. Some areas have weaker winds than others; that’s just the way it is.

It’s entirely possible that you left the jetstream earlier than expected or missed it entirely, giving you a higher ground speed and getting you to your destination faster.

3 Likes

I mean yeah, I was flying over Greenland based on the flight plan and expected to be in Chicago at around 9:40 AM. However, wounded up in Chicago too early. Maybe that was the case

No mate, odd and even altitudes don’t make a huge difference on flight time, it only affects fuel consumption. You probably had really strong tail winds and that’s why you experienced a huge change in arrival time.

1 Like

What was your flightplan?

The real life flight flies around Ukraine and Russia, adding distance and flying more directly into headwinds. My guess is your flightplan did not do that and flew you either mostly or completely direct, which would add about 1000nm to your flight (which translates to more than 2 hours when headwinds are taken into account, exactly the amount of time you arrived early when the anticipated delays incorporated into flight schedules are also taken into account).

1 Like

I wouldn’t say this is an error; to reiterate what others have said above, altitudes do not affect your flight time (at least, not in great amounts) but they affect fuel consumption. I’d say that you likely had some strong tailwinds or flew a more direct route.

1 Like

It’s this, which was the issue.

VIDP OBDAG DP412 UXABA DP413 DP414 SURAM 2903N/7538E BUTOP ASARI SULOM PATNI SAKUV 3121N/7259E JHANG LEBIB DI SAJAN SITAX BOXUD KODAD TAPIS DOSHI KHOLM AMDAR TRZ TOBOT ETUMU KEKUR USETU RONVU IDSAN ASLOK UMKAS ROSIM AGERA POBEK GIMRI BIMDO LUKUR NONDI TUTUL LEMDU DZG BEDOR GORIM EDETO ARK GITNA NELTI 5528N/6353E BASAB KUSEB RURAK AKERA BIBLI GIMAK ULRES OGPAS DETEG DIKDA MINPU KUDED ABLOR DITLI ERUSA 6407N/5831E 6420N/5815E DIGUR PERAG 6609N/5536E LAGOM BOGDA NRM 6830N/5150E KUDEP SONEP GIMON TILGA PIBOL ROTLA AGATA 8100E 8120N 7940N 7500N/6000W MEDPA 7074N 6700N/8000W 6100N/8500W 5500N/8800W DURIL YQT SHIKY 4342N/8838W BUSSE HYYDE JAKSA MOOPS FYTTE MOTRR COGSS MADII SOOLU NOLEN KORD

The real life flight flew the Atlantic route getting to Chicago at the right arrival time to where that’s what time I was supposed to arrive but again, arrived too early due to that I guess compared to this.

1 Like

Welp, probably that was the case and I was shocked to how that would happen because when I flew over the Polar, I was expecting to arrive at 9:40 AM but then, it caused me to arrive almost three hours early.

1 Like

Sounds good. Hopefully you had a good flight!!

1 Like

Yeah I guess. This topic can be closed now

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.