Flaps While Cruising lol

Pretty interesting to see flaps during cruise, I suggest you all try it out it’s quite cool.

Since flaps generate lift (along with drag) they are kinda interesting to see what they do at cruise at a beginning of a flight.

1 Like

you shouldn’t be using flaps during cruise. only on landing and takeoff

1 Like

Yeah but why not? It improves flight time by 7hr plus. I know it’s not realistic but I only get around 13 hours on a 789 not the 20 or something it should do.

2 Likes

Flaps are used to reduce drag. There’s no drag during cruising altitude.

But then why am I only getting 13 hours on a 789 when I should be getting 17+? With flaps 5 I get around 23 hours.

2 Likes

Either you’re speeding or you got some massive tailwind.

1 Like

Neither, cruise around m0.79-m0.85, and I step climb and winds are normal around 20kts

This should help you out.

1 Like

Dude, I know how flaps work, I just wanted to know if it was bad If I used them in flight.

1 Like

Exactly. Flaps are not used during flight. I usually rotate mine shortly after take off and as I enter the ILS cone.

Then whats up with my flight time? (How long my plane can fly)

Is there any chance you can show us a screenshot? Your flight time depends on the route.

I will have to take a photo with another device as I am flying so it will be a minute.

IMG_4936

That 40kts headwind does affect flight time, but even with a 5kt winds I still get terrible flight time.

320 knots is waaayyyy too fast. Slow down.

1 Like

If you flew at just over the stalling speed of an aircraft then you would have so many many hours of flight time but you wouldn’t really get anywhere. If you flew at just below VNE your flight time would reduce but you are still going the distance

That’ll bring me below m0.77 with will make the plane fly way to slow. (747 with 73% load)

No. Flaps increase drag and generate lift.

320 kts below FL 280 corresponds to M.85 above. This is okay, but the upper limit of where you should fly.

@Jeffrey_Varga Early in a flight, the estimated fuel time will be lower than the actual time you have. This is because the airplane is heavier, so the engines work hard early on. You’ll be able to make it to 20 hrs on a 787 no problem. Airplanes naturally pitch up (particularly the 747). If they didn’t do this, no air would go under the wing to push it up (also Bernoulli). Adding flaps doesn’t really ‘solve’ anything, because there isn’t any problem to begin with. Cruise above FL300, at M .80 or so, and you’ll have no trouble. Happy flying!

4 Likes

I understand you are heavy early on, thats why I am at FL260… On a 787 I cannot make 20 hours. I step climbed, no other weight except fuel, and had tailwind and still did not make it cruised at .84

I gotta be doing something wrong.

What is your vertical speed when you climb? Anything more then 3000 feet per minute to start, slowing to about 1500 fpm near cruise is too much.