Flaps During Climb

I know that you are supposed to retract your flaps about 3,000 feet when climbing. I need help on how to do so because if I retract my flaps and I have to keep my airspeed under 250kts, the aircraft will pitch up. I need help on how to retract my flaps at about 3,000 feet and correctly not have the aircraft pitch up.

3 Likes

Aircraft do this irl sometimes. Depends if you’re heavy or light. Do it gradually.

1 Like

So while taking off make sure that you do NOT use full thrusters, that way you gain speed slowly!!
As you gain speed, start retracting flaps one by one (for eg: 15 to 5 then 5 to 1 and lastly 1 to 0.)

That’s how i do it ever so smoothly… 😊

2 Likes

That really depends on altitude and temperature etc.

I personally also recline the flaps gradually until I reach cruising altitude.

2 Likes

That’s true!! I agree…

2 and 1 settings don’t really factor on the 737 5-0 is okay

2 Likes

Quite the interesting question you have here! Flaps are one of those subjective things that vary from aircraft to aircraft. We all know that aircraft taxis at about 20 knots, we all know that aircraft put there gear down on final, but flaps have a lot of conditions that make them what they are. The coolest part of having an Aviation Community of 40,000 people is that someone can help you answer that question! Community Moderator DeerCrusher who is also a real-life airline pilot says this:

“Flap speeds do not have any correlation with speed limits below 10,000ft. I personally will takeoff with Flaps 2. After I gain sufficient airspeed to reduce flaps, I will do so. Flaps 1 only extends the leading slats. By the time I hit 240kts, my flaps are at Flaps 0”

Community Member @Jan made a really cool website where you can click any aircraft and it will give you statistics such as maximum flap speeds, MOTW, and more. Check it out below!

There have been a ton of really awesome topics that can help with this situation. One of the most recent is this one below. This topic was made by fellow community members to show off the landing and takeoff flaps for almost all the aircraft, Check it out!

I hope one or more of these links help you! They certainly helped me become a more professional pilot!

3 Likes

Wait what? So your saying you have Flaps above 25,000 feet???

The jet takeoff procedure goes like this usually:

• Stabilise engines at around 50 N1
  • Set takeoff thrust
  • Rotate
  • Pitch to maintain V2+10-15
  • At 1000ft (or later if SID requires it), set climb thrust (85-90 N1) and lower nose to around 10 degrees.
  • Retract flaps at set speeds
  • Pitch to maintain 250kts (or any other max speed dictated by SID). Note that if the VS is going to be unreasonably high, you may want to lower thrust.
  • At 10000ft pitch down slightly to accelerate, then pitch to maintain climb speed (280-320, depending on aircraft), transitioning to mach number.

Another thing: the IF SID altitudes are often minimum altitude restrictions on charts. You don’t have to follow them. Even the maximum altitude restrictions can be overriden by ATC IRL if there is no arriving traffic above.

3 Likes

Retracting the flaps doesn’t depend upon altitude. It depends upon speed.
Make sure you follow the speed - flap table present in most of the aircrafts

2 Likes

Ohh yeah that’s true!! But i do it to make it more fun since we only spent the time during takeoff & landing…

1 Like

You ask the question is very strange. I will set my flaps to 0 when I am in 1400ft. Then turn to AP airspeed and the computer will help your speed under 250 knots

1 Like

Manually fly the aircraft pull the nose up very gently and slightly to correct the pitch as you retract flaps one by one, and as you get to a comfortable vertical speed engage the autopilot, another thing don’t set higher VS I usually set from 1300 to 2500.

1 Like

Thank you everyone! Also, at what altitude should I activate my autopilot?

How do you do your speed while you takeoff too, at which increments.?

1 Like

I almost always have my autopilot on when I’m past 1000 ft, it makes it easier for me to climb and keep my speed up.

No particular increments generally
I gradually pick up speed till 240-250 knots
By 2500 or 3000 ft i reach the climb speed of 240-250 knots

Regarding the flap speeds, your PFD should tell you safe retract/extension speeds. On Airbus, there will be two yellow lines that show the safe extension/retraction speed for the flap you are using.

On the Boeing, you’ll get a little line with the flap next to it.