Flaps and Spoilers after landing

First off, don’t know if this is in the right category. But, when you land, and the flaps are down and the spoilers are out, at what point should you retract the spoilers and pull up the flaps? Is there a certain speed, or at a certain point after exiting the runway, or do you do it at your own free will, when you have a spare second?

2 Likes

The flaps usually go up while you are exiting the runway. Well, that is what I do. :)

5 Likes

Spoilers should stay on until you cross the hold short line while exiting, and flaps can be brought up on taxi or at the gate, your choice.

3 Likes

Thanks guys @CJLAviation @the_simulation_nerd

1 Like

Anytime! Enjoy! :)

I normally bring my spoilers down when either crossing the runway threshold or when I’m under about 25 knots. Which ever is first. I bring my flaps up when ever I have time after leaving the runway.

2 Likes

Anytime you like. Airline specific procedures. Spoilers can be turned off as soon as below 100kts really. They are called “lift dumpers” for a reason. Their primary purpose is to stall the wing so the aircraft does not bounce up and reduce control.

1 Like

Once you exit the runway that is when you clean up.the aircraft and bring the flaps in and put the speed brakes down.

1 Like

On 737’s, speedbrakes are retracted automatically when you increase thrust after landing. Flaps are usually retracted on runway exit, unless there is icing conditions – since Ice in the flap mechanics can ruin the flaps…

3 Likes

Normally you stow the flaps and spoilers at the same time when you turn off the strobes and landing lights while taxiing.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I don’t fly big commercial aircraft I fly a Cessna 208 and Pilatus PC12, on those aircraft I do what I said. @Lare

I like to turn my spoilers off and put my flaps up when my reverse thrust goes off.

(Under 30 knots)

1 Like

No They don’t…

2 Likes

It depends on the operator, some airlines keep their spoilers until way after turnoff, some stow them quicker. It depends on when the crew starts their after-landing checklist.

1 Like

My fault, I should have been more precise, on the caravan and most GA aircraft, it’s best to retract flaps on shorter runways to get less lift more braking. Is what the PC12 and caravans manuals state. @Mats_Edvin_Aaro

2 Likes

And it’s what I do and it works ok for me. I don’t have to worry about icing on the ground either as I fly in south Florida. I am not familiar with larger commercial aircraft but I am verry familiar with the aircraft I fly. @Mats_Edvin_Aaro

1 Like

On the A320 I flew on a few days ago, the flaps went up as soon as the reverse thrusters turned off. The speed brakes were used when approaching the runway and spoilers were used until the aircraft had exited the runway.

What do you mean? Speedbrakes and spoilers are the same thing…

And @Flying_Luc Yeah, I have flown with the Caravan a couple of times, and general GA aircraft doesn’t rely that much on flaps. :)

3 Likes

Very true, typo I meant to write spoilers and flaps, the caravan doesn’t have spoilers, it has a great rev thrust and beta so it brakes great. As I mentioned, I don’t know if it is generally the best thing to do but what I do works well. As I said, I am not familiar with commercial aircraft except a little sim in the A320.
Thanks again 😃. @Mats_Edvin_Aaro

1 Like