Five Dead in Midair Collision over Italy

Early reports stating five are dead and two injured in mid-air collision over Italy

Early photo of the crash site

A small tourist plane and a helicopter have collided mid-air over Aosta Valley this Friday Afternoon. The two aircraft were flying over a glacier northwest of Aosta Valley, Italy, at 10,000ft when the incident occured. The two aircraft were carrying six people, and the mountain rescue service is on the scene. The dynamics of the crash are currently unclear, as rescue teams are currently working to remove the bodies. The identities and nationalities have not been released to this point

This story is still developing

10 Likes

Such a sad story, I read it early this morning in the Corriere della Sera. Two people were reported to be injured.

2 Likes

Sad to hear 🙁 thoughts and prayers 🙏🏼🇮🇹

2 Likes

Small or Big, all accidents whether fatal or not, where there is human/animal life, and for some nature like trees and such involved, it surely is a sad time for us all. As for this unforeseen event, may our prayers go out to the family’s and friends of the deceased ones. Every life counts and matter, may this year bring less accidents related to aviation where human life’s at cost.

Extra: I wrote nature in the first sentence, although not the important part, but we have to consider that some people in this world feel for the nature’s harm that is caused by fire and other chemicals released, which in the end endangers us humans alongside animals. Every accident contributes to horror on all aspects and therefore, we should do our best to strive for safety in aviation to be he greatest it can be, to save, Human, Animal and Nature Life.

3 Likes

Darn! looks like an AStar sad to hear about this!

2 Likes

It doesn’t sound like 2019 is going to be a better year for aviation, this is truly heartbreaking. Very disturbing to hear about this, stay safe out there aviators.

2 Likes

Wait, if they were carrying 6 people, and 5 were killed, did one survive a 10,000 ft collision?

2 Likes

Perhaps the wing of the aircraft was sheared off and the plane were to impact the ground in a way where it would be non-lethal? I extremely doubt they fell 10,000 feet.

3 Likes

I have some doubt, helicopter pilots are afraid of flying THAT high above the ground.

2 Likes

Really? Maby Fixed wings are better for one or two things… 🤔😂

1 Like

Actually a 10,000 foot fall would be, uh, survivable under the most extreme amounts of luck, the record is 33,000 feet after a the plane was taken down by a bomb, one of the FAs survived the fall. Broke lots of bones, but after a lengthy recovery only had a limp and a few scars to show for it…

1 Like

Technically, the drop wasn’t 10,000ft. The incident occurred over a glacier, so they were much closer to the ground than that. 10,000ft was measured in MSL

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.