First Time Spotting in the Snow | Munich, February 13, 2021

Hello and welcome back!

I admit it’s been a while since I last posted here, but January and early February didn’t really give much opportunities for spotting since weather was horrible and specials were rather scarce as well. This however was a bit different this weekend when we probably had the most amazing spotting weekend in an entire year. For the first time I experienced snow at Munich Airport combined with actually nice weather (if you ignore the temperatures that ranged from -3 to -15°C on saturday with some icy wind on top), so we ended up spending hours at the airport from 7.50 am until 4.30 pm.

After I had picked up a friend on the way to the airport we were positively surprised by a delayed DHL 757 leaving for Leipzig which departed in amazing light, however some enormous heat haze made it quite challenging to find a crisp image.

An hour later, with a lot of light, yet less orange color, airBaltic’s A220 arrived from Riga.

One of the first “specials” to arrive was Lufthansa’s Frankfurt flight which was performed by a new A321neo, first to wear the cockpit mask.

In the meantime, Air Europa’s Skyteam livery had arrived and upon departure, it caused a little snow storm on the taxiway during line up.

The biggest special of Saturday was due to arrive by 11 am perfectly matching the clear blue skies and perfectly lighted by the snow on the ground: Etihad’s ManCity 787-9 from Abu Dhabi

A sight to disappear very soon is Lufthansa’s -XB in old livery which got equally beautiful snow lighting. Due to issues with the paint, it will soon follow -XA to TLS where it will receive the new LH color scheme from Airbus.

Another 350 departed shortly after, this time operated by Singapore Airlines who have recently restarted flights to Munich including a night stop for the aircraft to allow one crew to perform both, the inbound and the outbound flight.

When we decided to take a tour to the terminal for our lunch break, we suddenly discovered somethin approaching on the horizon. It turned out we had actually forgot about the imminent arrival of the Hungarian Air Force’s A319 but our little mishap ended quite lucky with amazing lighting again and would help us the day after to come up with an idea for amazing approach shots of big jets with four engines.

Sadly without the color splash of an EXPO livery, but still an amazing sight with winter light: A 777 of Emirates arriving from Dubai.

After that arrival we switched position for some departure shots of Etihad’s special and some other planes.

It’s just a rather boring Anadolujet 737 but combined with a nice tower and the weather we had, it was definitely worth the shot.

Probably one of the most clean shots of the day was the little visitor from Luxemburg departing for the way back home.

The grande finale of the day, just like the saturdays before, was National’s Boeing 747 in from Chicago Rockford. While every Saturday since the route’s introduction was cloudy and all we could do were dark pannings, the arrival finally happened in daylight and with actual sunlight. Little did we know at this point, that this by far wasn’t our last 747 movement for the weekend.

Thanks for visiting this topic! I hope you liked it! See you for the next topic, which will come very soon since I somehow ended up at the airport again only a day later ;)

My Equipment:

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM (99% of pics)
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS II USM (for wide angle pics)

Backup / Old Lenses

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (for the 1% of the cases where I needed a wide angle lens, replaced by the 24-105 now)
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS STM (for the majority of my very old pics, bascially completely replaced by the 100-400 now)

You can follow me on twitter and Instagram to get more shots on a daily basis. Also, keep your eyes open on Flightradar24 where you might see some of my recent shots.

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/mba_muc/

Jetphotos

Recorded Flights on my YouTube channel

My spotting topics on the IFC (sorted by years since this is slowly getting endless)

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end

Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper
Stunning Condensations and a Royal 747
Azimuth Superjet and more for the last topic in a decade

Birthday Spotting
The Final EXPO A380
Special Cargos in the Evening
Zurich’s Airline Traffic during the WEF Week
Air Force One Ramp Tour
Air Force One Arriving in Zurich
Heavy Contrasts for Air Malta’s Retro Jet
First Two Days of SiKo - Kuwait A340, Russia Il96
Amazing Security Conference Perspectives feat. Kuwait’s A340 and more
Etihad’s Choose China Livery
Security Conference Final
Trying A New Position for Condor‘s and United‘s New Liveries
Last Specials Prior to the Corona Break
First Spotting Trip After the Corona Restrictions With Some Cargo Specials
50 Years Special Livery on a Rescue Helicopter
Spotting AN-22 in Leipzig
Spotting the Last Departing A340s of Lufthansa
First Visit of Qatar’s OneWorld A350-1000
AN124 and Other Specials in Munich
Spotting in Frankfurt With Several Specials
Early Morning Cargo Movements
Government Flights at Munich
Military & Special Spotting at Ingolstadt and Neuburg AFB
DC3, Hekla Aurora and an EXPO livery at Munich
The First Visit of an Airbus Beluga XL
Summer Spotting Ending with Engine Light
IL76 Spotting in the Summer Heat
Two Weeks of Specials Summarized
Two More Days of Specials in Munich
Special Movements in September
Covid-19 Fall Spotting
P3, F18, A400M and more
Night Deicing, going to Frankfurt and more

Not the Best Weather for Spotting, but at Least There Were Specials

Honorable mentions, TLDRs and Reminders

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Look, something new to quote again!
@Marc you’re welcome 😉
@Nathan time to visit this place again
@Balloonchaser since you will come here anyway…
@JulianB just want to be sure you don’t miss it
@CaptainHugh
@AndrewWu
@MJP_27

75 Likes

When am I gonna get an honorable mention :(

7 Likes

Well, you never asked for one, but I guess that’s doable

1 Like

HA, beat @Balloonchaser.

Moritz’s honorable mentions are useless.

1 Like

I think it’s not the mentions that are useless, but balloon in that case 🤭

5 Likes

Ironic but true.

1 Like

Thank you sir

1 Like

What B747s also came?

1 Like

This might come more often after the pandemic as LH and airBaltic have a codeshare agreement for LHs long-hauls from Munich

1 Like

Winter Lighting is the best lighting no 🧢

But, HOLY. The lighting on the Ethiad is just the best!

I need an honorable mention 🥺

1 Like

Is this the DHL 757 that had the cargo door fall open in flight? That incident was on a leg out of Leipzig, you may have caught it heading there.

1 Like

OKAY NOW! Im official done with this. These photos are WAYYYY TO GOOD! I cant take it anymore.

1 Like

funny german man takes pictures of planes in the snow

good plen pictures moritz, will be sad to see those old livery LH 350s go, still have yet to see any new livery LH plane in my 1 and a half years of spotting lol

2 Likes

All of those are incredible! Well, except the A220, that one is ok at best. I think you’ll understand why. 😜

Lol, well done! Winter lighting with snow is so good!

1 Like

Nope, the accident happened before the pic was taken and the aircraft involved was G-DHKZ

1 Like

Well, wait til you see the topic for Sunday 👀

Wait and see 🤫 Sunday ended up being quite a quadjet madness out of a sudden

2 Likes

How can I live in Munich, camp on FR24 and not see it… Has my life lost its sense? 😂

1 Like

Well, one 747 was flying without a destination, the other one was showing as heading to FRA on FR24 haha

1 Like

Oh man… I just tried to cheat with the history on FR24 but it is exactly one day too long ago so I can’t see it anymore. Now I am dying to see your shots…

1 Like

In case you want to see another 747, Air Bridge Cargo is going to perform several flights to Munich in the upcoming days and National Airlines will add an additional route to Chennai, so they will now fly to Munich every Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Monday

1 Like