First time seeing a 747!

Today I went spotting at KPHL (Philadelphia International) and I finally caught a 747! It was a British Airways 747-400.

British Airways used to fly twice daily from LHR-PHL operating a 777-200ER(BAW66) and 787-9 Dreamliner(BAW68). British Airways gave flight 68 to American Airlines its alliance partner which is now AAL728 operated on a A330-300. In response to losing a flight they upgraded to a 747-400 and departs daily at 6:40pmEST.

This is the one of the 747s that fly to PHL. Around Christmas Kallita Cargo operates a 747 for FedEx, and Lufthansa used to fly a 747 from FRA but was switched to a A340-500, then -300 and is now operated by Lufthansa CityLine on a A340-300.

(sorry for the bad quality)

34 Likes

My house is right in the departing and arrival flight paths for KPHL. My kids and I love being able to identify daily flights. They usually shut off their landing lights over my house when departing too so my daughter will call out 10,000 and ascending. Thanks for sharing!

15 Likes

I remember the first time I saw an A380 it was purely amazing I also remember the first time I saw a 787 at Victorville airport before it went into commercial service.😃

4 Likes

I’ve only ever seen a 747 once. I was at KDFW and saw a British Airways 747-400, a 787-9, and an A380 for the first time. Now only for me to see the A350 and my life will be complete.

6 Likes

I’ve saw a couple 747s before wish they flew to MSP more often.

2 Likes

That’s cool! Have you ever seen the Qatar A350?

2 Likes

Qatar A350’s are cool. I’ve also seen the Finnair A350 come into JFK once during the winter which looked stunning against the white cloudy sky!

4 Likes

If I’m home around 10 in the morning I can see it depart and I remember the 777 taking its place for a bit while the 350 was sent on a more heavily favored route. I believe that Qatar has an arriving flight that comes in around 7 or 7:30 in the morning. I have a large back yard so it makes for some really nice spotting. If I only had a real camera besides my phone, some nice pics would be posted.

3 Likes

I have seen a Koreanair 748 and a 380 at the TBIT before.
During a trip during spring break I got to see an Air China 744F land at KATL.

2 Likes

I remember that time, they were switching between the 77L and 773

2 Likes

Kinda have to realise how lucky I am to get four 747 and two A380’s a day along with multiple A330’s, 737’s and A350’s later this year.

Glad you got to experience the beauty of this queen for the first time.

2 Likes

Thanks, all I have left to hope to see are the UPS/FedEx Md-11s, and the A350.

1 Like

I’ve seen a few hundred Qantas 747s 😂
And the occasional Thai 747s. Flying over every Tuesday morning.

4 Likes

That’s awesome I saw my first 747 last week at KDFW as well. It was also British Airways.

1 Like

Here are two 747 in one picture in and out of KCHS all the time Uploading…

Oh so cool! Did you bring them up into aviation? When I’m older I’d love to have kids like that 😄👍

1 Like

I used to work part time with a firm that had crop dusting planes (Grumman Ag Cats) so that really ignited my love for aviation. As for the kids, they just ask questions when I have IF on the iPad and they correlate the info to when we are outside or driving down the road. We have a large volume of air traffic overhead including medical helicopters, Commercial Aircraft and Skydiving Planes all within eye sight so for inquisitive children I have to stay up to snuff with everything.

2 Likes

Congrats on seeing a 747. It really looks majestic close up :)

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool! I didn’t know they flew into Philadelphia.

Just wondering, how did you manage not to see one unitil then, lol?

1 Like

I’ve seen it depart Philly from my house but haven’t seen it up close is what I meant

1 Like