First long haul experience with AA

OK guys, so after two long exhausting days of traveling, I am here to do a trip report on my first long haul with AA, and I must say it was fantastic.
Flight 1
AA ?
McDonnell Douglas MD-80

SAT San Antonio International
To
DFW Dallas Fort Worth Intl
So the MD 80 gets a bad rep, there have been reports that it’s drafty, old, and in need of retirement. Well, my experience pretty much contradicted those reports. I find the MD-80 to be a comfortable medium-haul aircraft suitable for 2 to 3 hours. The old style plush seats were of course very comfortable. Now, all I could have wished for (now that the MD 80 is sadly retiring) is some form of IFE. Even drop downs would have been nice. Anyhow the flight was rather uneventful.
Flight 2
AA80
Boeing 777-200ER (refurbished)
DFW Dallas Fort Worth Intl
To
LHR London Heathrow (spent a day sightseeing in London before flying back home, it was amazing)
So this flight is what really turned the tide of my opinion of AA. The cabin crew were efficient and while not overbearingly friendly, they weren’t stony cold either. Just wanted to jump with joy when I saw the beautifully refurbished cabin. (As you may know AA’s old interior and IFE was one of the most ancient in the industry) The new IFE worked seamlessly except for one small hiccup where it stopped for about 5-6 seconds. Other than that the selection was amazing. Of course everyone thinks airline food is nothing to rave about, this was. The chicken was in a yummy sauce (albeit the mashed potatoes were a bit bland) and with mixed veggies. There was also a tortellini option which I sadly declined… oh well. The bathrooms were clean and there was a self service plate at the back of the cabin. The approach was smooth and landing was soft-ish. While not exactly entertaining, the AA safety video felt me feeling very ‘rewarded’ for flying AA. My experience was AAmazing!
More on the return trip to Munich later.
I had an awesome trip and American was gracious and caring every step of the way. Also, (take hint United) no lost bags. Yes folks, I flew American (who is allegedly notorious for losing people’s bags) and got my bags within 10 minutes of arriving at Baggage Claim.
Also this is my first time at Heathrow and I must say I was very impressed with the cleanliness and overall calmness of LHR.
Thanks for reading this (long) trip report!

5 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

Whenever possible, I will push for American. They really are improving! Proud of them for getting their stuff together and making a great new airline. AA made Delta look bad lol😀

1 Like

2 Likes

Spur of the moment plus it was cheaper.
Anyway who doesn’t want a stopover in one of the world’s biggest cultural meccas?

Final? Munich.

1 Like

Great report. I’ve been to London loads and I love it. So much to do no matter how often you’ve been.

Anyway. What terminal does American use at Heathrow? I’m flying from T3 in November with Virgin but I gather it’s quite old so don’t really know what to expect.

IIRC T3. But it’s actually decent

1 Like

I’m considering flying with AA when I go to STL (propably in October). It’s nice to see this review, makes me forget a little bit my incident with them (they let my bag stranded in MIA :/ in 2015).

1 Like

You will probably get a 737 or a CRJ, be warned of the CRJ, no IFE.

2 Likes

Yes but CRJ is a regional jet. They aren’t designed for routes that have to have IFE.

I got a 2hr30min flight in a CRJ from CLT to SAT

Edit: Now the picture of the MD 80 is in. Unfortunately I couldn’t get a pic of the 777 or DFW/SAT/LHR because it was late and in DFW we had a short connection time.

Had a great experience with them from Miami-London Heathrow, very polite staff and amazing view over Canada, Lightning every where, very eventful :)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.