First Flight lesson! any tips or tricks?

Hey guys I’m about to start flight lessons on Monday morning I’ll be flying the Cessna 172 and training at Windham Airport, CT (KIJD) I can’t wait! I’ve done some studying and I fly the 172 occasionally on the expert server so I have some experience but still a little clueless any tips or tricks that helped you guys?

6 Likes

Stay confident! We have your back! Good luck!

3 Likes

Yes what @Aviation2929 said!

3 Likes

We got ur back man!

1 Like

Thanks guys!

1 Like

My one tip:

Don’t count any simulation time as “experience”. Flying in any sim (wether it be FS2020, X-Plane, IF) is nothing like what you will do in the real plane. Sure the systems work similar, but the actual handling and flight as a whole is so different. When your instructor is talking to you, don’t toss anything over your shoulder because you’ve “seen it before”. Sim and RL are totally different and it is very important you treat them as such.

13 Likes

This ^^^

1 Like

Very true thank you!

1 Like

Being fair, I fly the 152 and have recently started using MSFS for some GA flying, I’m definitely impressed with what it can do and the real training I have done and can replicate. (Is also great for navigation especially as I live on the coast where landmarks, high winds with special inbound/outbound procedures are all in game near me as my home airport has a no fly zone directly next to it due to a nuclear power station)

With no disrespect to Infinite Flight, GA flying in IF has almost no conception of the real feel of the aircraft in the air. This is a combination becuase of the winds and advanced dynamics of the aircraft, plus the overall feel of the yoke and pressures that are put on it (if it is not fly by wire). Whilst it is fun and pretty popular for the simulator experience, it is in no way eligible to the real feel of the yoke and how to handle an aircraft correctly when flying. (It does cover you round the basics of flying and do have to credit that).

Something I was heavily criticized a lot on when I started flying was the ‘death grip’. Generally it is one hand on the yoke, the other on the throttle when mostly at an important part of the flight. Nowadays flying with one hand is easy, you’ve just got to get to grips with the aircraft and what makes you feel comfortable.

Another thing which you’ll learn later on is landing. Because I do tons and tons of commercial flights in IF, I generally flying big jetliners. I am used to flaring, and flaring in a light aircraft, isn’t really something you do too much of. It’s something very hard to resist at first and you have to reprogram yourself for it to have a much lighter flare and not stall the aircraft.

1 Like

Infinite flight is very very different. Just remember. Power Attitude Trim for climb. Attitude Power Trim for decent. If your being told to maintain 3,000 for instance, and you climb too much. Use a FREDA check. So say “I’m going to do a freda check” Fuel, check. Radio, check. Engine (on this pull your carb to cold. This slows the aircraft and you can slowly decend) say engine in green. And carry on.

Follow through with your instructor, so hands on control ect, gains abit of experience:)

Goodluck, and if your over 5”10 goodf****g luck even getting in/out the plane. Perception is a funny thing and you perceive the cockpit to have a lot of room. It dosen’t 😂

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m about 6"1 so RIP

2 Likes

As an irl IFR pilot, I would highly recommend on the first day to go in confident, and with an open mind ready to learn. The first day is typically learning basic aircraft operations and aerodynamics, not much quizzing unless you have previous experience. Also as many people have stated above, I also recommend to throw out what knowledge you have gained through flight simulation, and start your real life aviation adventure with a clear plate.

I hope the flight goes well tomorrow, and let me know if you have any questions!

2 Likes

Im 6ft and I have no problem getting in and out of a 172

Well I’m 152, it can be an absolute nightmare.

1 Like

Ok, makes sense :)

My advice would be to check out some Youtube videos from CFIs that essentially answer this question and more. There’s tons of great creators out there but The Finer Points and Angle of Attack really helped me during my training.

Check out this video to get started.

I’m 6’4, a definite tall one. Getting in and out can be a bit of a pain, but overall once you’re in it really doesn’t come across your mind as you are focussed on the aircraft, the instruments, and the flight.

Just don’t do what I did and bang your head on the wing strut when inspecting the wheel 😂

2 Likes

Be prepared, take a quick look at some of your studying material if you’ve completed ground school. And have an experience of your life!

Also, be nice to the instructor.

Yeah I just heard apparently the airspeed indicator in the plane I’m training in is broken so they have get it repaired looks like I won’t be flying tomorrow…

Poor guy! You have a couple inches on me, but when I did my training in a 150 my left arm would go numb on long flights. Sometimes I would open the window and stick it out just to stretch it out a bit.

@andrew_f0609 most important thing: have fun! There will be a lot of information coming at you fast, but don’t forget to take it all in, especially on your first flight!

1 Like