Firefighting DC-10, RJ-85 and More at Medford International

Hello there!

On September 8th of this year, which if you’re seeing this on it’s first day posted, would’ve been yesterday, I went plane spotting at my home area’s largest airport: Medford Rogue Valley International. The air was warm, but since the sky was clear of smoke, I went to catch the 10-Tanker DC-10 that was running in and out of there that day. I’d also catch a number of other aircraft in the hour and a half I was there.

On to the photos…

1| N405QX getting pushed back and getting its engines going for a flight up to Seattle

2| The star of the show, N522AX, is starting up its engines!

3| N705SK arriving from Phoenix, Arizona

4| N522AX up nice and close for the camera, taxiing to runway 32 for takeoff to fight a fire near Goose Lake in the tippy top right corner of California. The spooling up and down of the engines sounded amazing.

5| N522AX launching out, after eating up so much runway. It’s be over an hour before i see it again

6| N285SY getting ready to taxi for a hop over to Salt Lake City

7| N705SK now being detached from the pushback vehicle for a return flight to Phoenix.

8| N635AC taxiing to runway 32, off to the same fire N522AX was going to. Speaking of the N522AX…

9| N522AX on short final for runway 32

10| N522AX crossing runway 32 to get to its parking area, to be turned around once more

Favorite photo or two?

0 voters

Videos of these aircraft will ~eventually~ be released here on MFR Plane Spotting

Thanks for stopping by!

14 Likes

Crazy to see how low to the ground the DC-10F is!

Also… GREAT SHOTS!

1 Like

I wonder if there were any instances where that height, or lack there of, from the ground has caused any issues in the past

Glad you thought the shots were great!

I like the new livery a lot more! So much more modern! Cool shots and aircraft!

1 Like

The new livery definitely looks much better than just the orange and white for sure!

Haven’t seen a BA “Avi” in years. Good to see the goose in service still!
10 Tanker new livery looks nice! The actual plane in IF!

1 Like

The RJ-85 a unique plane, four engines on a regional jet. The RJ-85’s predecessor, the BAe 146, can also be found fire fighting as well

Yep 10-Tanker is in IF, albeit the older livery, but it’s still there. You can even open the tank!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.