You have probably never heard of Tioman airport, but could you think that it could be up on the list of the most challenging approaches in the world? That’s right, Tioman has giant mountains on both sides of its small 3,255 foot runway. We will takeoff from nearby WSSL and take a quick 49 minute flight to Tioman. This airport gets passenger planes believe it or not, mainly using small ATRs. This week we will only be using the TBM-930, one of the most familiar aircraft to deal with a challenging approach.
Aircraft: Daher TBM-930
Starting Airport: WSSL
Ending Airport: WMBT
Flight Time: 40 Minutes
Date / Time: 2020-04-25T14:00:00Z
- Must use assigned aircraft, gate, and callsign.
- Must follow all procedures listed below
- Must obey any instructions given by our the judges on the event PM
- Must be respectful to all contestants (i.e. running into them)
- If any of these rules are disrespected, the pilot will be disqualified.
Takeoff: Spawn into your assigned gate 10 minutes before the event and do not push back until 1400Z. Runway in use will be decided by a judge right before the event. Taxi to it and take off, keeping at least 3nm between each departure.
Approach: Enter Right Base for Runway 20, this is a one way airport, takeoffs always from Runway 02 and landings always on 20. When you enter right base make sure to be in between the runway and the mountain on your left. When you feel it is time, turn right onto the runway and land, make sure to stop as it’s a very short runway, quickly exit as go arounds are very tricky.
- Approachs will by evaluated by me (@Sashaz55). I will give 1-5 points to each contestants based on how well they follow the approach, their speeds and altitudes, and their ability to maintain proper separation with other aircraft.
Landings will be evaluated by @PlaneCrazy
and will be worth up to 5 points depending on how smooth the landing is, where the touchdown point is, how lined up the aircraft is with the centerline, and other aspects.
|IFC Username||WSSL Gate||Callsign|
Thanks for checking out our event, we hope you can come! If you have any questions, just let us know. Please be present on the community during the event.
Banner Photo: @PlaneCrazy