Finding Your Next Flight

✈ How to find your next flight ✈

Are you looking to be adventureous? Looking for a new and interesting flight that will open the doors to new opportunities? Well, you’ve come to the right place.

The FlightAware, FlightRadar24, and Flight Plan Database images are hyperlinked to take you straight to their perspective websites.

What will be covered?

✈ How to search for a flight on FlightAware flightaware_cropped

✈ How to search for a flight on FlightRadar24 eU_SCiU9_400x400

✈ Searching for flights using FlightMapper

✈ Searching for routes between two airports using Flight Plan Database min

✈ Searching for flights utilizing FlightMaps (no specific website / airline specific website)

✈ Suggested Routes Archive

Tutorials

Searching for Flights with FlightAware

When you open the webpage to FlightAware you will be presented with a page similar to this. Pictures may differ from day to day. Hover your mouse on Live Flight Tracking, and the following drop down will display. This dropdown and home page will be our focus point for the FlightAware portion of this topic.

> We will break this down into three (3) parts:

✈ Finding a flight from a Random Airport
✈ Finding a flight from a Random Flight
✈ Finding a flight from the Origin & Destination

Image 1.1

Random Airport

From the drop down listed on Image 1.1, click on Random Airport as indicated by the red arrow pointing to the left. You will then be greeted with a random airport located within the United States & Central America. (May or may not work on airports and countries outside of the US and Mexico.)

As you can see from the example below, the random airport that was chosen was Tuson, AZ (KTUS). From here I’m given a list of departures and arrivals within a given time frame. I had a choice of a few aircraft to choose from. I selected SWA660 as I saw it recently departed from there at the time of making this. Because the identity of this aircraft was the same for both the inbound and the outbound legs, you can click on either the arrival Ident or the departure Ident. Either one will work and will take you to the next step.

Image 1.2

After clicking on SWA660 I’m redirected to a new page as seen below. I won’t explain all of the information that’s given on this page as its a bit self explanatory. What I do want to highlight is the area I notated in red near the bottom. This is the filed route that this aircraft/flight is flying. By clicking on decode, you’ll be redirected to yet another page. If you copy that URL on the decode page, you can paste it into FPL to Infinite Flight Converter. Follow the on screen instructions to get this route in a format that is compatible for you to paste it directly into your search box on Infinite Flight.

Image 1.3

Random Flight

If you click on random flight as notated by the green arrow on the Image 1.1, you skip all of the steps on the random airport explained above. By clicking on this, you will be greeted with, yes, a random flight. Fairly straightforward. Again, all of the same information will be displayed as seen on Image 1.3, and you are able to follow the same steps to decode a flight into a compatible format for Infinite Flight.

Origin & Destination

As indicated by the two (2) red arrows on Image 1.1 there are two text fields where you are able to type in an origin and destination. Upon clicking search you are greeted with the following image. A list of airlines/flights are presented and sorted by departure/arrival time. Again, like the other examples as discussed, you can click on the Ident and you will be brought to the same page as displayed on Image 1.3.

Image 1.4

Searching for Flights with FlightRadar24

Once you search for FlightRadar24, you will immediately be greeted with a map with air traffic. It may seem a bit confusing at first but this should little tutorial should remove that confusion.

What you’ll first notice if you’re on the desktop version is an image that looks similar to this. You will have some icons listed on the right hand side with a gear, arrows, a filter/funnel, star, and a rewind/history buttons. We want to use the filter/funnel as notated but the red arrow. So, click the filter icon.

When you click the filter, this pop out will display.

Side Note: I currently have a Basic subscription on FR24, so I am limited to 1 filter. If you have a higher tiered subscription, you can have more filters running at a given time.

You can select whether you want to filter the flights based on the following:

• Callsign
  • Airport
  • Altitude
  • Aircraft
  • Speed
  • Registration
  • Radar

Furthermore, you can filter the flights even more. In the image below, I selected Airport. I was given the option to sort the aircraft by “In” which would be the Arrivals, "Out" which would be our Departures, or I can sort them by "In/Out".

But first I need to clear my current filter. You can clear any filters you have by clicking the “X” as notated by the red circle.

Take note that my filters have not been enabled. The green arrow is pointing to the switch you would need to click when you have your filter set.

Image 2.1

Ok, now we’re ready. I’ve got the filter set to Airport. The airport I will be using is KDFW (Dallas Ft. Worth, TX) and I have it set to filter both departures and arrivals. All aircraft displayed on the map now are, those who have an origin OR destination of DFW.

Image 2.2

Now that I have my map less cluttered with non-relevant aircraft from my selected departure/arrival airport, I can now focus on my aircraft selection. Key information given here is the flight number AA3689.

Unfortunately, FlightRadar24 does not provide route information like FlightAware does. Regardless of the country, the information is not available for you to access on FR24. If you want route information, and the flight is in the US or Central America, you can head over to FlightAware as discussed earlier in the Searching for Flights with FlightAware. Type in the flight number or you can type in the origin & destination and search for that flight number.

Otherwise, FlightRadar24 is a great resource to find an orgin & destination for a specific aircraft on a map. Finding detailed routes? Not so much but still an excellent resource.

Image 2.3

Searching for Flights with FlightMapper

FlightMapper is a really simple yet effective flight planning tool to use. It works in 3 steps.

1. Click on/in the general area of your departure airport. Zoom in on the map to be more precise when choosing your departure or more accurate results.

2. Click on/in the general area of your arrival airport. Again, you’ll yield better results if you zoom in on the map.

3. Select which route you’d like to fly.

You’ll notice that there are many different colored routes. These colors have no significant meaning other than that they are used to distinguish different paths. Some are direct, and some are not.

For this example, I selected the first Dark Blue route row. We have a our departure, arrival, and airline columns displayed on this table.

Image 3.1

When you click on one of the cities that are hyperlinked in Image 3.1 a list of all airlines that fly out of or into that city you clicked on, will be displayed. In Image 3.1 I clicked on Fiumicino, Rome (LIRF). A massive list of all cities that are flown to from there populated the webpage. I scrolled through the list to find something and found that there was a direct flight from LIRF, to Stansted, London.

By clicking on the “+” symbol, it opens up a list of the airlines and flight numbers that are associated with that flight.

Image 3.2

Clicking on FR 3055 opened up a new webpage. See Image 3.3 below. Gives me some information about that flight in particular. Its a nonstop flight on a Boeing 737-800 with an Estimated Time Enroute (ETE) of 2hrs 45mins, and the effective dates.

Image 3.3

Like FR24, detailed routes are not given. This is where creativity comes in to make a beautiful flight plan between those two points.

Finding Routes with Flight Plan Database

Finding a flight on the Flight Plan Database is pretty simple as with the other methods as discussed in this topic. However, this is a little different, as no real world flights are shown. This website is a flight simulator planning tool that is available to all.

The routes that are presented on Flight Plan Database may or may not be real world routes. Rather, use these routes as a supplement to something other than going from your departure airport direct to your arrival airport.

This is the home page. When you first open up Flight Plan Database you will see something similar to this. The airports on your home screen will vary because the ones that are displayed are the most recent ones that other users submitted or created.

Explore the Planner tab, as this is where you can create your own routes by inputting an origin and destination. Because this topic is not about creating flight plans and more about finding them, that will not be covered in here.

Moving on, you’ll see that on this home page we have a Departure and Arrival text fields where we can input our airports. For this example, we’ll be departing PHNL and arriving at KJFK

Image 4.1

When I hit search or enter on my keyboard, I am brought to this screen with a list of routes that folks published to the website. Some may be the same, some may have small differences between them such as the length. It will depend on the airports you’re flying between.

As you can see I have at least five (5) routes that appear to be all the same. So I can choose any one of them.

Note: There is a filter option where you can sort the routes by when they were Created, Updated, Popularity, or Distance.

Image 4.2

Click on one of the routes you wish to look at. When the next webpage opens, you will be presented with a brief summary of the flight and the overview of the route as seen below in Image 4.3. In the image below you will see all of the way points between PHNL and KJFK.

Image 4.3

If you keep scrolling down on that same webpage you’ll see all of the waypoints listed in the route as well as a lot of other resourceful information.

Image 4.4

Again, more information on the same webpage is displayed if you keep scrolling. Weather, airport information, and more is shown to provide you with a great deal of information

Image 4.5

Finding Flights with FlightMaps

Many airlines have provided on their website a route map with all of the destinations that are flown to. Generally this is sometimes a picture, but with technology that we have today, many have moved to an interactive map. FlightMaps is a FlightGlobal product that allows companies to put their routes into this interactive route map tool.

Below, you’ll find a handful of screenshots showing how you can find a flight from this useful tool. This may be new to some of you but hopefully this be another source for you to retrieve a flight from.

Note: In this tutorial we will be using Japan Airlines as our example airline.

With FlightMaps, there is no specific website for use to use. Unlike FlightAware, FR24, FlightMapper, etc. we don’t have a “home” page for use to work off of.

Before getting started, you need to have in mind an airline you wish to fly. As noted above, we will be using Japan Airlines for our example airline. You will need to open up your web browser, and search for “FltMaps”. You may get some search results right off the bat with a few airlines but it may not always be the one you are looking for. As you can see, Japan Airlines was not on the first few results, and if I scrolled down further on the browser, it wasn’t listed.

What you will need to do is type in the name of the airline you wish to fly next to “FltMaps”. So it would look like Japan Airlines FltMaps or FltMaps Japan Airlines.

Image 5.1

So I found that Japan Airlines is supported by FltMaps and they have their routes, hubs, connection cities, and other cities that they fly to on their map. A brief tutorial will pop up when you first open the webpage.

In Image 5.2 below, you will see all of the cities that JAL flies to. Each dot represents an airport that is serviced by this airline. Some things to note are the legends at the bottom of the page. You can change your display preferences on the bottom left hand side. I like to keep my preference set at “Direct or Connection” because this will show me the routes between the two or more cities.

Image 5.2

Now we’re ready to look for some routes. I’m interested in a route from London. I click on the dot, there on the map next to the city name and a tag pops up as seen in the image below. Click on “show destinations”. What this will do is bring up all of the various destinations and connections that you can fly to from London.

Image 5.3

This image will be a similar one you see depending on the city you select and the airline you choose. As you can see from the legend that I pointed out earlier, I have maybe one or two direct routes. That direct route appears to send me to Tokyo. I have countless of options for connecting flights upon my arrival in Tokyo.

Your next step is to click on the Departure Results List at the very bottom of your screen. This will pull up all of the results based on your selection and what the map is showing.

Image 5.4

Now that we have the Departure Results List open, we can now see all of the 121 results by scrolling through them to find which one we’d like to fly. There are two pages of results. The page numbers are indicated in the top left of this pop up. You can see that page 1 is selected.

We will now select a flight from the list. For simplicity of this tutorial, we’ll select the first flight. From London (LHR) to Akita (AXT) with our connection in Tokyo (HND). Now that we have a flight selected, we’ll click on Details as noted by the red arrow and box.

Image 5.5

Ok. So we’ve clicked details. A new webpage will be displayed as seen below in Image 5.6. Only the route you selected will now be displayed rather than all as seen on Image 5.4.

Here you will be able to see the flights that operate on this route that you selected in the previous step. As you’ll notice there are two (2) flights that operate this route with the connection. One flight that leaves (LHR) at 9:30am and the other that leaves (LHR) at 7:00pm. Information such as duration and distance is shown.

Again, you’ll find another details button. This will further dig deeper into the details for that specific flight that we selected.

Image 5.6

This is where our gold mine can be found. The last step in this process. Just about all information that you’d like to know other than the route details is on this page.

• Departure / Arrival Airports
  • Departure / Arrival Times
  • Aircraft used for the flight
  • Flight Number (Can be used to reference flight on FlightAware or FR24 for an idea of flight plans)
  • Terminal / Gates for both the departure and arrival airports
  • Flight Time
  • Distance
  • Days that the airline utilizes this flight
  • And more…

Note that I boxed both the legs in this example. Because we selected a flight with a connection, we will have two legs. If you find a route that is a direct flight straight to your destination, you will only have one leg, and will not see a leg 2. I mentioned this in the list above, but do take note of the aircraft. Many of the aircraft that operate these routes, we have readily available to us in Infinite Flight.

Image 5.7

Recap for this section:

• This whole process can be used to find the flight numbers for this / these route(s). By following the steps provided in this section, you can find the flight number which can be used to find a detailed route.

• Detailed routes may only be available in North and Central America as other parts of the world do not allow this information available to the public.

Resources

Copying Flight Aware and SimBrief FPL to Infinite Flight

Suggested Routes // ARCHIVE

FlightAware.com

FlightRadar24.com

FlightMapper.net

FlightPlanDatabase.com

How to Input GPS Coordinates to your FPL

35 Likes

Here’s a suggestion:

Since the FR24 method you gave only shows the flights from DFW in the air at the moment, my method from FR24 shows the scheduled routes from any airport for the next 7 days along with 7/90/365/700 days of history of any flight from that Airport on that route

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/IATACODE/routes

6 Likes

Where do you find the time.

3 Likes

It’s a shame that you can’t do the same for flight around Europe.

I was just thinking about trying to find some new and interesting routes the other day, going to have a look at some of these methods and hopefully get some scenic flights.

I use Flight Aware to find all of my flights and how long they take. It also includes the cruise altitude and (if you’re lucky) a detailed flight plan

I’m also writing a tutorial for how to make your own routes without using a route generator for those interested in how that’s done, and it doesn’t take that much longer to do it yourself. I think at least a few people would be interested in that.

1 Like

I sometimes make my own routes but if I can get a real world flp I just use that

This is great especially for the realistic planning of flights

I have taken it to the next level I did a Emirates A380 out of Manchester same time it left in real life same Everything speed altitude etc it’s a lot of fun