Finding the Steepness of a Ski Slope Using Infinite Flight

Finding the Steepness of a Ski Slope Using Infinite Flight

You might be a little confused by the title, so here is some background:

A few hours ago, I was looking at different grades of ski slopes for no reason. I also wanted to fly in IF, because I hadn’t done that for a few days. After thinking about both of these ideas, I started synthesizing them to think about how accurate Infinite Flight’s terrain is. To test that, I decided to take my trusty xCub out to a ski resort and find out for myself.

Now for actually how I did it:

First, I took off from Mammoth Yosemite Airport (KMMH) in my xCub and landed on the ridge of Mammoth Mountain. The mountain is pretty easy to find in Infinite Flight, and you can even see the ski runs clearly on the lower parts of the mountain.

My xCub chilling on the ridge of an 11,000 ft tall mountain

After landing on the ridge, I decided to try out my measurement idea on one of the less steep runs on the ridge (still very steep), Cornice Bowl. I found the top of the cornice fairly easily, and got ready to “ski” down. Once I was at the edge, I gave it a little bit of throttle, and gravity did the rest. Soon, my xCub was flying down the side of the mountain at the same angle as the slope. I then switched to pilot view around the lower part of the run, and looked at the screen to find the angle of the nose. I could only look for about 2 seconds, but I estimated an angle of -25 degrees.

Using the screen inside the cockpit of the xCub to find the angle

Now that I had found my angle, I needed to compare it to the actual steepness of Cornice Bowl on Mammoth Mountain. I found the grade on a website to be -52.8 %, but I needed to convert that to degrees. After popping it into a conversion calculator, I found that the actual angle of Cornice Bowl was -27.83 degrees.

My Estimated Angle using Infinite Flight: -25 Degrees

Actual Angle from IRL Data: -27.83 Degrees

I was very surprised at this number because it meant that Infinite Flight was within 3 degrees from the real steepness of a mountain. This shows us that even though sometimes IF terrain doesn’t seem as advanced as some PC sims, it is very very accurate to the real world.

Thanks for reading!

52 Likes

My Brain would never think of that!

3 Likes

Yup it was just a random thought that came to me somehow lol

Haha actually the most interesting post on this forum in a long time.

Almost broke my arm on Cornice bowl one time

2 Likes

Thank you so much!!!

Yeah it can be a dangerous run, especially when windswept and icy.

1 Like

I love this idea. Its really interesting!

1 Like

Thank you! Glad you found it interesting!

Hahaha this is a great read… and I learned something!

well done my friend

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like

I can tell you always blew everyone away at your school science fairs lol

1 Like

Haha I actually haven’t done any science fairs for the past few years, but I see what you mean lol. Thanks!

lol Bay Area geeks
This is definitely one of the best topics I’ve seen

2 Likes

Lol thanks!

1 Like

Next on DJ’s Aviation: Some Rando Found Out How to Tell the Steepness of a Ski Slope Using a Plane

1 Like

Lol that would be amazing

You should try the same thing, but when Cornice has an actual Cornice

1 Like

Yeah there is no defined cornice in IF or IRL actually, because they groom the run now, but I didn’t want to try anything too steep or my xCub would crash.

Speaking as a downhill skier myself, a slope isn’t too steep as long as it’s still possible to stop on the slope😂 the sucky thing is you won’t know it’s too steep until it’s too late

1 Like

Yeah ski slopes generally seem much steeper than they actually are.

Skiing Simulator - coming 2021.

😎

2 Likes