Final turn on visual approach

Hi,

I saw Tyler’s video on visual approach but I would like to clarify one aspect. Once I say “airport in sight” approach controller will answer “cleared visual approach runway XX”. At this point is it like on a classic ILS or GPS approach? Meaning, we do our final turn to align on the runway, contact tower (upon handoff from approach controller) and wait for landing clearance from tower ?
Am I right?

Thanks!

Daniele

1 Like

Exactly. Just fly it like a normal ILS/GPS approach.

1 Like

You’re doing your final turn under VFR conditions (correct me if I’m wrong). ATC won’t give you a heading or anything. You turn, and land like you would om GPS/ILS.

2 Likes

Yes you proceed visually to the airport.

VFR and visual approach are not the same thing. If your flight is under IFR it doesn’t turn in to a VFR flight when you start the visual part of the approach. IFR flights can contain a visual approach.

2 Likes

Thanks for that!

I’m wrong sometimes, so I’m always happy if I can learn something new, I appreciate it.

2 Likes

No problem. I didn’t want it to appear to “have a go” at you at all. However I see those two things mixed up quite a bit so I thought I would say something, hope that’s ok.

2 Likes

You proceed visually to the airport, your final turn solely depends on your location relative to the field.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your answers

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.