Final MH370 Report Released by ATSB

A Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-2H6ER, registration number 9M-MRO operating flight MH370 from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing disappeared on March 8, 2014. The aircraft was 11.8 years old and had 239 people onboard. A search and recovery mission has been run by the Malaysian Government and the ATSB (with support from the Australian Government) at a price of around AU$198 million. The search was cancelled early this year.

Quick facts on the recovery efforts:

• 1046 days spent searching
  • 710,000sq/km of Indian Ocean seafloor mapped, the largest ever single hydrographic survey
  • 120,000sq/km of high-resolution sonar, also the largest ever search or survey of its kind
  • 661 areas of interest identified in sonar imagery of the seafloor, 82 of which were investigated and eliminated as being related to MH370
  • Four shipwrecks identified in the area searched

The final MH370 report has been released by the ATSB (published 3 October 2017). You can view the document below:
The Operational Search Document for MH370
ATSB Transport Safety Report - Investigation - Final

“At the time the underwater search was suspended in January 2017, more than 120,000 square kilometres of seafloor had been searched and eliminated with a high degree of confidence.”
“The aircraft was not configured for a ditching at the end-of-flight.”
“It is almost inconceivable and certainly societally unacceptable in the modern aviation era with 10 million passengers boarding commercial aircraft every day, for a large commercial aircraft to be missing and for the world not to know with certainty what became of the aircraft and those on board.”

Here is a quick overview of what has been found in the recovery efforts:
D7FDE850-8B70-4C99-A426-66AF144BC52C

“The ATSB expresses our deepest sympathies to the families of the passengers and crew onboard MH370. We share your profound and prolonged grief, and deeply regret that we have not been able to locate the aircraft, nor those 239 souls on board that remain missing.”

Source Australian Broadcasting Corporation

This article basically summarises the report:

View more on the ATSB website:
https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2014/aair/ae-2014-054/

19 Likes

Wth it is Korean Air Lines Flight 007 all over again. Why the hell did they release a report when they don’t know what happened. Just blinky well go and recover the rest of wreckage instead of believing that your models are always correct. We have the location because we have used current wreckage to map where it is. For goodness sake go get the black box and release the report again next year with proof that the captain took over the plane and flew it into the Indian Ocean. It is almost certain he did it due to the simulation of the flight he did before taking off.

My rant

I’ll get round to reading the report when I have time, maybe sometime in a couple of weeks when I’m flying long distance

8 Likes

Obviously the report is just explaining what they know so far. 9news showed a few pictures from a submersible as part of the search efforts and one absolutely looked like a 777 fuselage at the bottom of the sea. I heard that a new search area has been established and the search is expected to continue. I feel so sorry for all the families without their loved ones 😓

Dunno why they released a report if they are planning to get the black boxes in a few months if they just gotta re-do the report again.

2 Likes

Yeah it sorta doesn’t make sense. They can’t be bothered to continue the search and waste the time away by writing a report about everything we already know (although it seems the CSIRO was doing a bit of research). Hopefully they do decide to locate the wreckage.

is this the actual truth

1 Like

What do you mean the actual truth? The search for MH370 was cancelled early this year, unfortunately.

1 Like

then why is the report here ??

1 Like

Yeah I know, the ATSB has released a (I guess you could call preliminary) report covering all they know from what has been recovered, and the information collected.

Joshua Allec Ibay’s video on the incident would say what happened pretty well, I think. Maybe not 100% correct, but very close

2 Likes

The story you provided is a hypothesis, with no real data to back the claim. Until the plane and its black box is found, no one knows with 100% proof that any story is true and is what really happened to the flight. All we can do is speculate, which is by itself unproductive and highly misleading.

You’ve got to hand it to them, its not a small amount of money or resources they poured into the case given that it wasn’t even a local case. I believe that everyone including those involved in searching for the remains of the plane are eager to find out the true cause of this disaster, and that they’d done their best to do so.

1 Like

First we’ve got to locate the wreckage. The Australian Government should’ve done more research before pouring millions of dollars into trying to find the aircraft. Now guess what… the wreckage isn’t found, the search has been put off and the ATSB has gone back to the drawing board. The CSIRO and GeoScience Australia are the only ones that seem to be researching the location of the wreckage.

1 Like

I agree that it is indeed a lot of money to get to a dead end, but since its already over and done, I hope their new method would yield better results than the “tried and tested” way

1 Like

MH370 could remain a mystery for all we know. The ATSB calling this report “final” has worried me a bit. I’m really hoping they do continue the search with proven data.

1 Like

can’t believe the statue of limitations hasn’t expired yet
i guess they do things differently in australia

This is about as much as I can summarise 440 pages while retaining the main points (Satire warning!)

1. Plane disappeared after 40 min, xpdr and other ways to track the plane broke but we know it ended up somewhere in the Indian Ocean
  2. We took a map, threw a dart at it and started searching. No plane.
  3. Once we started searching, we could have found the plane at any time.
  4. Hey we can check the ACARS, now we can fly the PMDG 777 in FSX to determine where it went down I mean do complex simulations
  5. I don’t think you should be using that flaperon to build your castle, it looks like bits of MH370. Hey it is, we now know since it ended up here it must have drifted on sea currents therefore we can pinpoint it to 25000 square kilometres!
  6. Thanks to Air France for doing an impromptu game of hide and seek with an A330-200, we’re confident we can find other planes that go missing in the middle of Nowhere, Nowhere.
  7. There’s 661 possible bits of wreckage on the seafloor, but we checked the 82 most plane looking ones and found 4 ships masquerading as submarines but no 777-200ER.
  8. We’re confident that the plane isn’t in the places we’ve already searched.
  9. Oh sh*t we can’t find the 777.
  10. Release a report anyways, telling people that it’s to document our progress (sounds like me when I never do homework and the teacher asks “whats your progress”)

In fact it’s exactly the same…

“Have you done your homework?”

“I have spent much time absorbed in analysis.”
“I have also enlisted the help of those wiser than me.”
“Not only that, I’ve run through a couple of methods and I’m certain that it’s wrong.”

“So have you done your homework?”

“No.”

(I do apologise if any of the above offended anyone, I do know that many man-hours and money was spent to try and locate the plane and I appreciate those putting time and effort in to try and locate the jet.)

Alright now that’s done, lets get on to the actual details.

MH370, a Boeing 777-2H6ER registered 9M-MRO and powered by 2x Rolls-Royce RB211 Trent 892B-17s disappeared during a flight from KL to Beijing, with 12 crew and 227 passengers on board.

After a request from the Malaysian Government, Australia joined in the search. The People’s Republic of China also joined in. Since it was a Malaysian aircraft, they are in charge of the general direction of the investigation. However, Australia later took charge of this.

A Quality Assurance Manager was appointed to ensure that all search data was sifted through and that they did not miss anything.

As far as money goes,

Malaysia--------- A$115m (58% of total)
Australia--------- A$63m (32% of total)
PRC-------------- A$20m (10% of total)
Total-------------- A$198m

Key Recorded Events of the Flight:

All times are in UTC.

MH370 departed KLIA at 1642.
Pilot In Charge reported that they were at FL350 at 1701
First ACARS report was received at 1707.
Last radio transmission was at 1719.
Aircraft passed over waypoint IGARI at 1720, which it cancelled it’s SID and headed directly to after takeoff.
The last recorded secondary surveillence rader position was at 1721.
At 1752, the FOs mobile phone was detected by the Penang communications tower.
It was last recorded on primary surveillance radar at 1822.

From 1739, Malaysian and Vietnamese controllers attempted to contact the flight with no success. A formal distress phase was triggered at 2232.

Two calls were attempted from ground to air to try and contact the aircraft, at 1839 and 2313 respectively.

The last recorded handshake between the aircraft and the ground station was at 0019, after which the aircraft did not respond to a further handshake at 0115. It is assumed that the unscheduled log-on request at 0019 was the aircraft switching to the APU after having exhausted its fuel. Shortly after, the aircraft impacted the ocean.

Search for the Aircraft

The first SAR area covered 573000km^2, east of the Malay Peninsula from 8 to 15 March 2014. Another area searched was west of Malaysia, covering 4560000km^2. These areas were searched based on radar data of a plane flying up the Strait of Malacca, which was thought to be MH370. New information discovered caused the search to be halted on the 15th of March 2014 on both the east and west of Malaysia.

After SATCOM data was analysed, the search moved to a southern corridor 1630000km^2 long. This area was searched from the 18th to 23rd of March 2014.

All the way from then until the 29th of April 2014, search operations were conducted, with patterns being refined as new information was gained.

Possible pings from the Underwater Locator Beacon was detected 4 times but nothing was found after that.

Debris Found

On the 29th of July 2015, the right flaperon from MH370 washed up on a beach at La Reunion in the western Indian Ocean.

Other debris such as the engine cowling section (with part of the RR logo), the right wing flap track fairing with the MH stencil, the right horizontal stabilizer panel section, an internal cabin bulkhead panel section and part of the right outboard flap were also found.

(see the posted pic in the original post for more)

Safety Analysis

The initial surface search for the plane has been the largest in aviation history. It is unacceptable that in this day and age, where a large commercial aircraft such as a 777 to be lost and three years later, for the families of those on board to still not know what became of them.

In comparison, other planes lost in the sea have been found within 27 days (in the case of EgyptAir 804) and 5 days (Asiana Cargo 991, AirAsia X 8501). MH370 is the only aircraft occurrence since December 2009 to remain missing.

In the wake of this crash, the ICAO has introduced measures such as recorder-mounted Underwater Locator Beacons to have a battery life of 90 days and to have provisions for automatic deployable flight recorders that have integrated ELTs instead of ULBs. They have also mandated that new aircraft types must be able to detect unsafe conditions and trigger near-continuous data as well as for all aircraft operators to track the postion of their aircraft every 15 minutes in normal flight.

Inmarsat announced that all planes on its Classic Aero system (such as MH370) would have their positions reported for free every 15 minutes, and 2 minutes for their newer Swift Broadband service.

Malaysian Airlines planned to implement satellite based ADS-B tracking once the Aireon satellite constellation is operational in 2018.

ATSB Safety Recommendations

1. ICAO encourages or mandates the publication of relevant information about SAR operations for future research.
  2. ICAO investigation bodies should publish SAR information for future research.
  3. If aircraft position is lost, relevant mechanisms should be in place for a rapid detection and appropriate response.
  4. Aircraft operators, manufacturers and equipment manufacturers investigate ways to provide high-rate or automatic global position tracking in existing and future aircraft fleets.

I think that’s all :)

10 Likes

That’s very comprehensive! I completely agree with your summary:

The annoying thing is the search for the aircraft was focusing on where the aircraft would’ve ended up if the aircraft wasn’t being controlled by the pilot, while his flight simulations (which the pilot suspiciously deleted from his hard drive) and the route the aircraft was flying while it was still communicating with ATC tell a different story. 60 Minutes led an investigation into the search last year and uncovered quite a few things. They even predicted the search would end soon, which it did this year. The Malaysian Government seems to be hiding something. Here is the video:

Also, the aircraft parts found (that were confirmed as from 9M-MRO) evidently show signs of erosion on the trailing edges from a controlled ditching. Otherwise the parts would be ripped apart even more.

Flaperon found on Reunion Island, taken to France

Flap found in Tanzania, taken to Australia

I’m sure that in the early days of the search lifejackets were found which could’ve led the investigators to the site of the fuselage. Also, considering the fuselage didn’t break into millions of pieces due to those pieces not being found in the search or washing up on nearby islands, I would assume the aircraft was being controlled at end of flight. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

2 Likes

Hey, sorry for the late reply, was very busy over the weekend! I’ve not had time to see the vid yet but I’ll just go through your points:

They had to make a choice between searching for the plane as if it was being controlled by the pilot or if it was flying on its own, and the likelihood was that it was being flown on its own. I do however agree that it was rather suspicious that

With no results and millions being burnt in the search it’s not surprising that they decided to call it off.

As a Singaporean I may be biased when I say this, but I wouldn’t be too surprised that their government in the state that they are at now are reluctant to release information detrimental to them, as well as possibly hurting the new MH who’s trying to recover from this and MH17.

Comparing it to AF447 which was in a stall and directly impacted the water at high speed, its possible that the aircraft was uncontrolled at the end of its flight, assuming it descended normally when it ran out of fuel instead of climbing and stalling into the ocean. See below;

Admittedly these are the more intact pieces of the plane, but it still shows that there are parts capable of surviving a high-energy impact with water. I won’t say further if the plane was definitely controlled or uncontrolled at the end until more wreckage is recovered, but so far it does point to the fact that the plane impacted the water relatively calmly and not in an uncontrolled dive.

2 Likes

Not really the best reading to do on a plane…

Hey I saw you on Live yesterday evening (I was controlling KSAN ground) 😅
It’s unfortunate a lot of things are seeming suspicious in this investigation. I thought it would’ve been smarter to search where the plane would’ve landed while under control, since that seems the most likely instance. Fingers crossed they pinpoint the fuselage and pull the flight and cockpit voice recorders out to prevent this from happening in the future. Hopefully the new tracking satellites will help in the meantime.

1 Like