Fighter Aircraft Etiquette

Well you aren’t improving realism, all you are doing is blocking out a select group of pilots from certain airspaces. Fighter pilots are in fact allowed in commercial airspace’s, so that’s not really improving “realism’s sake”.

2 Likes

But if the xp growth rate isn’t exponential, it doesn’t make sense. The easiest way to farm xp is by doing figure 8s, so I see no reason why they “nerf” the “weaker” way.

1 Like

I have a question.

If you are in a fighter jet and you are flying over a controlled airspace but you don’t want to land, you just want to fly over, can you still stay at 800 kts or do you need to slow down and if you can stay at 800 kts, at what altitude do fly at?

Thank you very much.

1 Like

You can just make sure your altitude is above FL180.
Others please confirm

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Reviving this topic and dusting it off a little bit.

We have had a lot of new pilots join Infinite Flight and more specifically the Expert Server. Just wanted to address those who enjoy flying the fighter jets and direct them to Tyler’s original post in regards to the general rule:

Please be mindful as you’re flying around in your fighter aircraft. This is especially important when within the vicinity of an airport or other aircraft. When departing/arriving into an airport, fly as if you were flying an airliner. Fly at speeds and pitch angles that your airliner would fly. As tempting and as fun as it is to pull straight up and light off the afterburners, let’s try to save that for when we’re not going to interfere with others.

As a reminder if you do decide to exceed these speeds by a few hundred or more knots, ATC/Moderators/Staff do reserve the right to ghost for “excessive speed in the airport environment”. I think we all can agree that this is something that we don’t want to happen so help us out! Thanks! 🚀

8 Likes

but this would lead to extremely inefficient flying. What should I do? For example: 250 knots is on the back side of the thrust curve of F-14, but it’s still on the front side of power curve. (Plus I fly pure fighters, but I think FDS should rework fighters’ physics when afterburner is off.)

250-300kts is acceptable. If 250 is on the backend of the thrust curve then 300 is better, right?

1 Like

slightly. But to achieve most efficient climb in IF I have to set VS to 10000 fpm throttle at 80 or 7000 fpm and throttle at 70 based on flight tests in IF and the plane would go supersonic at about 8000 feet AGL. Like I said, the transonic-supersonic physics are REALLY weird in IF.

1 Like

@MishaCamp Why did you pin this?
Edit: Nevermind. I read the fine print.

Is there a warning before ghosting for over speeding? @Tyler_Shelton

Depends on where, in some cases no.

1 Like

You should be aware of your speed well ahead entering controlled Airspace. But, I believe they should give you a warning to reduce speed before ghosting.

1 Like

This is just a friendly reminder for IFATC.
when on AP in a fighter, it manoeuvres a bit… sluggishly.

What i’m saying is, if you ask a pilot in a fighter to turn to a different heading, it might take a little longer than usual because the plane (should) be going slower than its normal flying speed. So, please don’t get angry if it takes a little longer for us to turn. :)

would it be acceptable to fly Mach 1+ if you were at 40,000+ feet flying over an airport on your way to somewhere else? you’re not in their airspace, so is it allowed?

Yes, that’s acceptable.

@Harry5 this is especially true when flying too fast. If you’re in a controlled airspace receiving vectors you should be at a speed that allows for the expected performance in turns, whether that means you hand fly (crazy, right?! 😜) or reducing your speed to a point where you’re able to reach assigned headings in a timely manner.

4 Likes

When you quote Federal aviation regulations FAR’s more then the use of the actual word. 🤣

1 Like

ugh, not hand flying… we’re too lazy for that 💤

1 Like