Few questions regarding flight training

Hello all!
I have a few questions regarding flight training as i want to get started.

Question 1: So i live in Coloado hence the username…And i dont want any flight schools in college cause im a swimmer and want a swimming scholarship. So i was wondering if there is any recreational flight training programs that you would recomend or sugest that i look into.

Question 2: What are the steps to getting into recreational flight training. And then what are my steps after that to gain my PPL or Privates Pilots Liscens?

Question 3: After i have gained my PPL, what are the next steps for getting a job at an airline?? Or is there more that i need to do after my PPL??

Thanks all i really appriciate all the help!

1 Like

For this I can answer. You will need an instrument rating, commercial, multi engine rating and ATP license minimum. A lot of pilots for the airlines go the flight instructor route so you will need a CFI rating or license and might be help if you get a CFI license to get a CFI-I (teach people that are pursuing an instrument rating)

Edit: obviously on top of this you need your PPL


As someone who’s gone through the flight training process, I can answer a few of these.

The first thing you should do is look for flight schools in your area. These can be mom and pop flight schools or even large FBO’s or brand name schools that give flight instruction. I assume this is what you consider “recreational” training as opposed to going to an aviation school such as Embry Riddle. You also need to consider what kind of instruction you want to receive. You can choose to complete your license under part 61 or part 141. In short, part 61 is a lot more laid back and relaxed but has a higher number of hours in which you can receive your license, while part 141 is a lot stricter and regimented in the lessons that you complete, but the number of hours in which you are eligible for your license is less. I would suggest reaching out to the flight school that you are interested in and ask them what kind of instruction they offer.

For getting into flight training, I would simply suggest calling up the flight school you’re interested in, maybe taking a tour or discovery flight, and more often times than not, they’ll set you up with a CFI and you’ll be on your way. In the United States, you need to at least be 17 years of age to receive your PPL, (16 to solo) but you can begin training any time. Your instructor will have a lot more information on what you need to do to complete your license, but you can view the full requirements under 14 CFR 61.109 (just google this).

Your PPL will allow you fly not for hire and recreationally, but you need at least 1500 hours for an ATP license (which all airline pilots need to have). Many people do this by getting their instrument rating (lets you fly through clouds and under IFR), commercial certificate (les you fly for hire), and CFI (lets you instruct other students and build hours), but I would worry about finishing one thing at a time before even thinking about the next. You need to walk before you can run!

Best of luck to you and if you have any questions, I’d be more than happy to help.


Thanks sm both of you for the detailed response

1 Like

Ooh I get the swimming stuff, I was a high school swimmer (have I talked to you about this?) and was considering this for college. I didn’t but really wished I continued. Feel free to reach out via PM and I can help if you have anymore questions. I’m bust atm and Naro did had a great response so I won’t go over everything again.

1 Like

If your ultimate goal is to work at an airline, there are a few different options that may be worth looking into. The easiest would likely be to find a flight school you like and keep training there through your commercial certificate before ultimately becoming an instructor and working there until you hit 1500 hours. That’s probably the most simple.

Next, you could consider a related degree (I’m aware you don’t want to, but I can at least spell it out). This can shave 500 hours off your required time and get you a lot of industry knowledge. The downside can be a lot of nonflying activity that bogs that down and increased cost.

A third option is the military, which would cut the requirement for 1500 hours in half, but requires military experience. I’m not knowledgeable enough to fully go into detail about that, so you would be better served talking to someone else if you like that route.

Finally, a few airlines across the world have programs designed to get you from 0 to an airliner. They are a nice one stop shop but can require signing your life away to them. It’s an interesting idea that deserves some thought.

I can answer some more detailed question in a PM if you would like :)


Thank you both I will PM y’all if I have questions

@AviationReports you haven’t lol

Basically, Fly the plane😉

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.