Edit, 1/7/2019: Public Beta is running!
Hey VA people! Don’t know if you remember this thread I started a while back … I’ve now started development on this app and got some cool stuff working and wanted to show how far I am so far. I’ve been in contact with virtualBlue to get their feedback on my early versions (since they seeded the idea to me a while back) and they’ve been pretty excited. I think this may be an idea that will benefit the whole IF community, but especially any VA out there wanting to help their pilots keep an eye on their flight data.
The main idea of the app is that you’ll start it up, get your flight set up, then…
…you’ll hit “Begin Flight Log” and have it run in the background to watch your flight and will automatically log your flight data to create a fully-fledged “Pilot Report” (PIREP) at the end. You can export this and send it to your VA, post it to Instagram, whatever you want to do. 😜
Something like this - this is an actual flight report generated by my app of an actual flight I did. I’ve tried to resemble actual flight reports as well as I can:
None of that was manually entered by me. Rather I simply began a flight logging with my app, did my flight as usual with a flight plan (you could use In-Flight Assistant’s VNAV for this, of course, as well as have live instruments with In-Flight Instruments 😜), and then went back into the app and tapped “Create Flight Report”. I could then post this image to Slack or send it via email or whatever.
Something I’m going to also add soon is a rating for your flight based on your flight parameters - were your flaps out at the right time, were your strobe lights / landing lights on (or off) at the right times, etc…all leading to a final 0.0 - 10.0 rating which your VA could integrate into their own pilot rating system if they want to.
I have some questions for you all, since the VA crowd is one of, though not the only, target group of this app.
1. What other data would you like to see in a flight report? What other data could play into a “flight rating”? (Please respond as a comment)
2. In addition to flight reports, I have the following ideas I may (or may not) end up adding to this app as well. Which would you be MOST excited about?
- Flight School - have an audio instructor walk you through basics of flying
- Challenges - have a weekly challenge that you’re rated on
- Adventures - have audio adventures (such as a search-and-rescue mission)
3. What do you think about this app concept? (your answer is anonymous)
- This. Is. Amazing.
- Not bad, I guess - we’ll see how it develops.
- Meh, not that impressed.
Who am I
I’m the developer of In-Flight Assistant, the “soundscape” add-on for Infinite Flight (as well as In-Flight Instruments the live instruments add-on). My passion is making highly polished, professional apps that add tons of value to the already awesome Infinite Flight experience.