Favorite aviation memories from the last decade

Only 15 more days remaining in the decade. Ten years. The better part of my life to be honest. (not by much though) So it’s been nagging me a bit what was my favorite memory from that last decade. So I figured I’d boil that down to aviation and ask you all, what was the peak for you?

This decade was just the 11th decade of powered flight, incredible how far we’ve come. One of the safest yet, and a decade very much defined by aircraft becoming ever more efficient. Just recently we have gotten big steps towards 20 hour flights with Qantas, enabled by one of the defining aircraft of the decade for sure. The A350 is at the heart of what this decade has been for aircraft. It and it’s rival the 787 (which we’ll consider part of this decade since it entered service in this one) have been the first aircraft to use mainly composite airframes, and have put a definitive focus on efficiency. Manufacturers have taken those technologies and paired them down into aircraft like the A321neo, 737 max, and A220, three other defining aircraft from this decade. Allowing long and skinny routes never before conceivable to be profitable. We’ve seen the fall of the A380, and dwindling support for the 747 in favor of highly efficient ultra long range twins. And that is all just the tip of the iceberg, I haven’t even mentioned GA, Airport renovations, or anything else. Definitely lots of answers to this question, so think wisely…

9 Likes

Definitely flying on the Landor Retro livery with BA to my home airport! One of the highlights of my entire life. I will never forget it! Read about it here if you’d like:

2 Likes

Having the chance to fly on the 737 MAX the day before it was grounded.

2 Likes

I’ve flown on many cool aircraft this decade, but my top ones have definitely been:

-Lufthansa A380 in premium economy
-Emirates A380 in business class (2 times!)
-TAP Air Portugal A330neo in economy and business class (1 time in economy, once in business)
-Air Canada 787 in business class (2 times!)
-Lufthansa 747 in economy
…aaaaaand the best for last, a United 747 flight from San Francisco to London in business class!

2 Likes

self-plug but this will be remembered for a long, long time.

1 Like

I forgot that was this decade. Great one…

1 Like

Mine is more on a personal note but my favorite memory of aviation in the 2010s is that I started flight school.

1 Like

First MD-88 flight. I never flew much before 2019 so I don’t have any personal memories.

2 Likes

They don’t have to be personal. A new aircraft, a new route, etc, just an aviation highlight from the 2010s…

1 Like

Ah yes, I’ve got a lot of memories from this decade.

Disclaimer: excessive use of butter may cause anger and other negative emotions

• My first flight. In 2014, I took my first airplane flight with the Young Eagles organization. I flew in a Piper Cherokee, I don’t remember the plane registration, but I’m sure I have some old photos on other devices. My first takeoff was from Monroe Executive Airport, I cant describe the sensation I felt, especially since it was my first takeoff ever. We flew a pattern around the airport, flying over the outskirts of the city I know best. Our landing, I felt it, but it was very smooth, it was a Butter

• My second flight. In 2015, I took another Young Eagles flight. This time, I was in a Cessna 140. I remember the pilots name, (undisclosed for privacy) but I don’t remember the registration of the aircraft. As a tail-dragger, it was a little different. Our takeoff was normal for the types, and our landing, it was so smooth, I don’t remember knowing we touched down until the tail dropped. It was another butter

• Ah yes, now it’s 2017. Up to Alaska I went, my first commercial flight was in an American Airlines A321, CLT - SEA. An uneventful flight, occasional light turbulence, I was just playing my tablet and phone the whole time. And looking at the wonderful Rocky Mountains. The takeoff was like no other, I felt the raw power of the engines, and the sound, oh my it was loud! Our landing on the other hand, I barely felt it. Butter!

• My other 3 airliner flights, all within 3 weeks of my first, 2 on Alaska Airlines’ 737-800s and one on an AA A321. We had visible vortexes coming off our wings in a rainy Juneau on approach. On departure from Juneau, I made a new friend (name undisclosed) we chatted during climb, it was his first flight! Our last flight back to CLT was very uneventful, followed by a butter landing.

• Now the year is 2018, my first time spending the whole time at Airventure Oshkosh! It was so epic, with all the planes, and stuff. And I rode the Ford Tri-Motor. Some guy was live streaming In front of me.

• This year (2019), I went to Oshkosh again and took another ride on the Tri-Motor, this time, I might as well explain more. An indescribable experience, our takeoff was louder than those in airliners, whose jets are larger than the whole Tri-motor! We were constantly bouncing, at once, we lost 10 feet in one second, scary (for me at least). It’s like an indescribable yet gentle rollercoaster. Upon landing, we didn’t butter, yet, we slammed down into the ground, the tires screaming at us, you could hear a loud bump from the landing gear too. I highly recommend a ride on the Tri-Motor, I don’t regret it, and honestly, (other than my first flight) the best thing I’ve done ever in aviation. And one of the bes things that’s happened to me this decade.

Well, that’s about it! My favorite aviation memories from this decade. It’s been awesome, and I’m exited to see what’s in store for the next one!

Here’s too a great decade! And to another one, even better this time! 😃😄😁

3 Likes

Flying the MD-11 and MD-80
Yeah…, the rest isn’t that really special except for one:
I had my 12th birthday in an A380😄

1 Like

My favorite part of this decade was seeing the repeated and rapid growth of my favorite airport, Norman Y Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC/KSJC). This was also the decade where I went from being a 7 year old boy in 2010 not thinking about what he was doing to becoming a 16 year old who has a love and passion for aviation. This allowed for me to see the beauty of majestic airplanes, especially the Boeing 737 family (yes, even the MAX).

All of those factors combined allowed for my passion to continue and I don’t see a stop to it anytime soon! Here’s to the next 10 years!

Thanks for remind me @NathanD

I was also able to take my first flight lesson out of KRHV in a 2008 Diamond DA-40 aircraft registered N171CB! It was an amazing experience!

3 Likes

My favorite memory is flying on the the 747-400 back in 2014 flying from KSFO-NZAA and taking my first flight lesson out of KCHO in a Cessna 172 registered N172ME

2 Likes

My first flight on a 788 (Gold Coast to Narita Jetstar)

1 Like

Definitely Qantas retiring the 767 in 2013 after many years, and, although recent, completing the first ever direct flight from the east coast of the US to Australia. They also did their second (and the world’s second) ever flight from the UK to the east coast of Australia. I also have to mention Qantas starting Perth to London flights.

2 Likes

Moving From The UK-AU (BNE) with a 5 week road trip/stop over in the US. Man those days were awesome!

1 Like

Believe it or not, getting stuck in both Toronto and Tokyo’s airports for the night.

1 Like

Getting to talk with Brussels Airlines Pilots after landing really hooked me into aviation

1 Like

Long but whatever. This decades aviation highlights for me have been that I finally got to fly on a 777-300er which is my favourite aircraft (had the option of a cheaper flight on an A380 but spent the extra just for the 777) Getting to see and hear the GE90s start up right outside my window made it all worth while.

I also became an adult this decade and therefore started to make money and be able to fly more frequently. I traveled a lot and got to fly on so many different airlines and aircraft and build up my knowledge of aviation.

Also need to mention discovering Infinite Flight. I discovered this gem at the start of the decade and it has given me a way to fly planes in an open world, in almost any aircraft and livery I want with amazing realism and ATC, without having to spend thousands on PC equipment and software. That has given me a lot of joy.

1 Like

Just came home from the Maldives and boy they are nice views (on an ATR that was never washed lmao)

I also flew Singapore’s a350 twice and SilkAir 737-800 which was pretty cool although 5 hours on a 737 is too much.

Another experience was on the same 737-800 where we flew into a strong downdraft and lost several hundred feet of altitude. Luckily everyone was buckled and service ended.

1 Like