Fast A320 approach into Toronto

Here is a video of a flight I was on about a month ago. I knew we were coming in really fast, but I had no idea how fast until the main landing gears came down before the flaps extended (12:15). The effect was obvious as I could feel the plane slow. And once the flaps extended, the slowdown was even more significant. I would compare the force to when you realize you are not going to beat the yellow traffic lights and need to quickly slow to a stop. It was a first for me, gears before flaps.

15 Likes

Did you land with Flaps 2?

Looks like flaps 3 to me.

1 Like

The crew would’ve went with full flaps because they were still high on the approach, not to control the airspeed.

Why is there green on the winglet and fairings?

That is so ground staff will not hit it or anything (No joke).

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Less than 5kt winds.

We were delayed in our departure and he was just making up lost time. And despite the delay, we did make it on time :)

O.O, Is this all Canadian planes? Never seen this in America.

1 Like

Just on AC planes as for as I know.

I never once suggested he was making up time during final approach. That is like saying you’re going to make up lost time in the last mile of a 2,000 mile road trip, that is just plain silly. I was obviously referring to the entire flight from take off to landing,

1 Like

No problem. Btw the reason he dropped his gears first was because he was travelling faster than the allowable speed for flap extension. The gears are the fastest way to lose speed. That should give you a good idea how fast he was going.

2 Likes

1 Like

The spouse of one of my coworkers is an A320 pilot for the same company. I showed her my video, so she called him up and that is what he said happened.
And don’t get me wrong, I never insinuated we were ever unsafe.

I can tell you from first hand experience, gear causes a lot of very obvious drag. The gear drag in IF for the A320 is no where near the real thing.