Farewell to Garuda Indonesia's 747-400s

One of the last 747s owned by Garuda, PK-GSG/GSH will be retired late of March this year. It’s sad to see these 747 left the fleet. These 747s will be replaced by 777s on Hajj routes. It has been more than 4 decades to see these 747s flying around Indonesia and they will be gone soon

Garuda’s 747s were used for some Long Haul destinations to Europe and U.S. During the last 5 years, These 747s were used for some Domestic flights to SUB, UPG, or DPS and flights to RUH or JED. There are only 2 747s in Garuda’s fleet as today, PK-GSG (Which currently stored since last month, yet hasn’t been scrapped) and PK-GSH which will serve Garuda’s last 747 flight

Farewell to PK-GSG and PK-GSH alongside Garuda’s historical 747s. You will always be missed. This retirement also added Garuda into the list of carriers who have ended their 747s operations. It’s sad to see them go 😢

20 Likes

Such a beautiful aircraft, so sad to see it go…

3 Likes

More to the point, they had a 747?

5 Likes

Seems like they have atleast two

2 Likes

Yes, They had operated 742s in the past for Hajj Flights (They leased it from SIA). And these 744 for Long Hauls to Europe and U.S until they are blacklisted from E.U (Some 744s also served some destinations in Australia too)

3 Likes

They should give me one

5 Likes

The queen is going to rest in peace

2 Likes

There goes another airline retiring them, this is getting more and more sad :(

2 Likes

The 747s are going away too fast! I need to go on one.

3 Likes

Such a beautiful aircraft, but they have to go. I wish this livery was added!

2 Likes

The 747-400 are getting closer to its extinction. I need to get on one before it disappears!

3 Likes

Yeah, I wish so. It’s beautiful imho so it will be nice to see it

If Garuda retires their 747s, It will be more rare to see 747s landing in CGK as Lion also plans to do the same in the future =/

2 Likes

Update :

PK-GSG has been officially retired since 18 February 2017. GA615 (UPG-CGK) was the last flight she served after 23 years operating for Garuda.

This also means that PK-GSH will serve the last flight of Garuda’s 744 after more than 2 decades serving Garuda and saw Garuda’s rapid growth and the downfall of Garuda in 1990s. PK-GSH will serve GA611 (UPG-CGK) as her last schedule flight on 6 March 2017.

Once again, Goodbye PK-GSG (Manufactured in 1994 ; 23 Years Old as 2017). You will be missed by all Indonesian avgeeks. See you on the aircraft’s graveyard (Heaven) 😢

7 Likes

Bye-Bye, Garuda 747s… You will be missed greatly by all 747 lovers! Your tail has has truly touched my heart! Bye again!

4 Likes

Wow! Many of the 747-400s are getting phased out!

2 Likes

Yeah, I heard THAI and United will also retire their 747s before 2020 =/

It’s sad to see these 747s go…

2 Likes

How perfect does that winglet line up with the livery in the first pic?!?!

It seems the retirement is postponed until April 2017. Thus this retirement will affect Garuda’s Hajj route. And it will be replaced by A330-300

2 Likes

No!! Why is this happening! We are losing so many 747’s!

2 Likes

Bye bye Garuda 747s. I hope her last flight to the airplane graveyard is publicised. And maybe people will be able to climb into her and take pictures before she is destroyed.

1 Like