FAR 91.117 b,c,d

I would like the 91.117 expanded to all applicable situations on live. I’m sick of the 300 kt patterns and unrealistic final speeds. I as a controller shouldn’t have to tell people to slow down constantly. A few speed adjustments here and there is great but almost every plane is a joke.

2016 FAR
Sec. 91.117

Aircraft speed.

(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 m.p.h.).
(b) Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft at or below 2,500 feet above the surface within 4 nautical miles of the primary airport of a Class C or Class D airspace area at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph). This paragraph (b) does not apply to any operations within a Class B airspace area. Such operations shall comply with paragraph (a) of this section.
© No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a Class B airspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor designated through such a Class B airspace area, at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph).
(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed.

36 Likes

Please yes. Also tie in ATC override so we could keep them at a slightly higher speed if needed.

13 Likes

Not interested. Fine the way it is.

3 Likes

Not interested in your opinion

24 Likes

Ok I lied.

I’m only interested in (d)

1 Like

Are you a controller? Do you have to tell every single aircraft within 30nm of destination airport to slow down to a realistic speed? It takes away from efficiency and reduces overall quality of service.

16 Likes

Look, guys. It’s a flight sim/game. The reality is that if you start and continue to add little gotchas here and there you’ll wind up with an expert server that only serves a small niche group. This is an inefficient use of server space.

I’ll concede you this. Maybe if they like to add another server to test these other types of rules out before moving them out to general population.

2 Likes

You mean like the EXPERT server where you should be an EXPERT and follow realistic rules.

12 Likes

Test as in not permanent.

If it works, it works. If it doesn’t, it doesn’t.
Not everyone that downloads this and plays is an aviation expert, nor an American aviation expert at that.

But that’s alright. Keep pigeonholing and you’ll find that your bird no longer fits the bill soon enough.

1 Like

I think you should be an expert to fly on the expert server

4 Likes

@zbelle it’s not like I’m asking for some non existent rule with no reference this is an actual flight rule as provided which we already have in place. I’m just asking it be fully expanded upon.

4 Likes

This is a great suggestion. Honestly, it’d cut down a good half of the speed commands I have to use to slow people down while vectoring. Resources can then be better utilized elsewhere to service more planes and watch for potential conflicts. Like you said, I’m all for speed adjustments when they’re necessary, especially when the pilot has been polite and tried his best.

With the TFRs being added to Aspen and Eagle Co, I’m optimistic that more rules and regs can be expanded upon in the future, as those were a perfect test to see how it would play out. Slowly spoon feed and introduce more and more restrictions to pilots as appropriate. It helps out so, so much with controlling. Less to worry about!

3 Likes

I’m not concerned with myself not following this as I already bring my speed down continually as the plane comes down.

My point is that it’s easy enough to remember 250/10K for the average person (or at least it should be), but once you add if and or as the OP spells out it gets hairy.

I do support part (d) as it could apply to the Concorde when it comes.

We could simplify it to something like no greater than 200kts within outer ring of airport below 5000ft.

2 Likes

It would be pretty easy to remember 200 kts in Bravo-Delta airspace as well.

1 Like

I guess KDEN and other Colorado airports are exempt then.

I could possibly see 2,500ft above target airfield within 4 nmi, but only on inbound.

I meant 5000 above airfield. Just like our simplified airspace rule of 5000 above airfield.

That’s nearly 13,000ft for KASE.

Perhaps have it apply only up to 10K. This can be achieved for most airfields with 2,500/4nmi.

Don’t like it why tamper the rule if they do it do it all the way.

1 Like

That is not the point at all. I don’t care if an airport is at -11ft or 25000ft. The restriction is in place above the airfield elevation.

1 Like