Family Members In Aviation

I’ve noticed that there are quite a few real world pilots on this forum, but for most of us, we are just ordinary people with a passion for aviation. We all come from different backgrounds, and found our passion for aviation in different ways. So, do YOU have any family members who fly, work on planes, or just have an interest in them? Did they spark your interest in aviation? Let me know!

As for me, my cousin was a flight attendant for British Airways, my aunt is a senior flight attendant for a popular airline in Africa, and my uncle is an aerospace engineer for Northrop Grumman. They didn’t really spark my interest for planes, but it’s cool to talk to them about aviation!

6 Likes

Sadly, I don’t have any family members that are into aviation the same way I am. But my friend Phil(He’s my dad’s friend) is getting his PPL.

5 Likes

I dont know anyone in my family who is into aviation whatsoever! Yet Im a Student Balloon Pilot and aiming to fly Private Jets when I am older… :)

6 Likes

My cousin works for Robinson. She used to work for American Airlines at LAX, as a maintenance person in the hangars.

6 Likes

My Grandfather flew for Braniff, Piedmont, and USAir, and flew the 727, 737, and DC-9 during his career

Three of my uncles also fly.

One flies a 777 for United, another flew a 727, A300, MD-11F, and 747-400 for UPS, and the other flies a Blackhawk in the Army.

I hope to be the next one in the family to fly!

8 Likes

My family was shocked when I became interested in aviation because no one else was.

7 Likes

Don’t know anyone in my family that did anything aviation wide, so I guess I am a first generation avgeek!

2 Likes

My Mum works for BA on the ground, Grandma was an air hostess with BOAC and my Grandad was a FE on the Comet, VC-10 and Concorde. Safe to say he’s always been my role model.

2 Likes

I come from a Military family. Long history of the men in our lineage serving, and it’s what I plan to do too.

My Great Grandfather fought in Japan in WWII. My grandfather was a bombardier on B-52’s over Vietnam. My uncle flew KC-135’s for a very long time. My dad was a meteorologist.

I hope to follow those footsteps and fly in the AF soon.

4 Likes

It might count but my friend’s uncle was the youngest pilot in Australia to build his own plane (and fly it), I’m pretty sure he’s done his ppl

1 Like

My Great Grandfather was a pilot in WW2. My uncle (almost 20 years older than my dad)flew for Aeroflot in the 80s and 90s. Then he quit.🤷🏼‍♂️

1 Like

My uncle used to be a KC-10 pilot for the USAF, now he is a pilot for the Delta MD-88/90.

4 Likes

My grandpa was a B-24 gunner and engineer and my dad flew as a VP of a ice cream company in various private planes when I was young. But aviation is mine and my brothers own passion.

3 Likes

And he is thinking about switching to the A320 family soon since the MD-88s are getting phased out.

4 Likes

None of my mom’s side (the one more related to Aviation) flew an airliner other than GA’s. I’m on track to becoming the first Schneller in an airliner’s cockpit.

4 Likes

My great grandfather flew the DC-3 In WW2. He told me stories about flying it around Australia. He also once clipped his wing on landing and he plane had to go through major repairs. Sadly, he was the only aviation-lover in my family, and is not with us today, as he passed away peacefully in mid 2017. I am therefore the only avgeek in my family, but it is lonely without someone else.

2 Likes

My dad worked for Boeing the first 20 years of his work life then moved to McDonald Douglas. He then quit the aviation industry and moved to rocket industry. But his work sparked an interest in me that continues today.

3 Likes

I don’t have anyone in my family in aviation. However, my dad’s coworker built his own plane using a kit.

3 Likes

My Uncle flies the 777, my Great Great Grandfather fought in WWII in a spitfire and a hurricane, both my parents had their privates as well as my aunt. Soon I’ll be a pilot too :D

2 Likes

My dad is into aviation his YouTube account is full of plane videos but I’m more into it than him

3 Likes