Failed to land at Paro

I recently flew from Guwahati, India to Paro, Bhutan. This is my second time trying to land in Paro, with my first time crashed into the ground. This time I overturned and landed on the grass beside the runway. 😂 Here’s some screenshots I took when I was flying this route with @AviationNG.

Route: VEGT-VQPR
Duration: 00:31
Server: Casual
Aircraft: Drukair Airbus A319-100

Getting ready with @AviationNG

Takeoff!🛫

Cruising at 24000 ft

Descend into Paro

Wow this is beautiful

Approach

The final turn!!!

Attempting to land at Paro🛬☠️

Ryanair landing on the grass🛬☠️🤮

Parked with @AviationNG

Which Picture did You Like the Most
0 voters
12 Likes

Skill issue💀

10 Likes

Found a set of VQPR charts and procedures at the following link. Seems that all aircraft arrive and depart via PRO, a VOR station that is almost lined up with the approach to 33, so if you navigate via that it should be much easier.

Staying south of the airport seems like good advice as I almost stalled out and almost clipped a mountain trying to climb to the northwest in a CL35.

Those charts are from 1999.

I’m pretty sure the VOR doesn’t work anymore, and the airport is almost entirely RNAV (RNP) operations now.

Well, just imagine the wing tip strike at Paro irl. That’s a pain to think how to return that aircraft since there’s no maintenance facility. 💸💸💸

3 Likes

Me trying to approach correctly in Asheville

i’m not a good lander

4 Likes

Wonder where Drukair and Bhutan Airlines maintain their aircraft

1 Like

They call the same engineer from Ryan air

1 Like

emotional-damage-steven-he

3 Likes

Haha they can land as hard as they want then! Ryanair engineers are probably the best at dealing with aircraft that take repeated punishment on touchdown!

2 Likes

The approach was too high for one, and the final turn was too far left. You need to be nearly hugging the right mountain as you turn for landing. There is a reason it is one of the most challenging landings in the world and why only a handful of pilots actually have the certification to do so.

1 Like

It’s impossible to land here 😢 I’ve been flying in IF for a few years but this is only my second time in Paro

1 Like

Yeah… hope it doesn’t happen irl

Yep, I’ll try that next time I come here

I tried landing at Paro a few times before and it wasn’t easy. Especially runway 15…

1 Like

Where’s asheville?

2 Likes

App mountains in North Carolina. @DJW should know where that is

3 Likes

oh ok (10)

2 Likes

Omg hardest place of approach and landing ever… 🥲

1 Like

I tried the arrival and approach using the procedure below in a CL35. It wasn’t too bad. Important thing is to have your aircraft in final approach mode at TAKTI (low speed, full flaps, etc.) and then cross PRO at only a few hundred feet AGL. The final approach is steep but very doable at low speed.

3 Likes