FAA's newest category - Powered Lift

For the first time in many years the FAA has added a new category to its list, the Powered Lift category. It is defined as “Powered-lift. A heavier-than-air aircraft capable of vertical take-off, vertical landing, and low-speed flight, which depends principally on engine-driven lift devices or engine thrust for the lift during these flight regimes and on non-rotating aerofoil(s) for lift during horizontal flight.”

This comes in light of the very first civilian Tilt Rotor becoming a reality in 2020 when Era Aviation will accept its very first AW-609. We are entering the new decade at a very very very exciting time of aviation!

9 Likes

I wouldn’t mind flying around in something that looks like a toy!

3 Likes

Its a neat machine I’ve been following it smnce 2004 lol It has a crew of two can carry up to nine passengers, has two PT6s, can fly at 275 knts and a range of over 750 nm, with a max alt of 25,000ft!

3 Likes

Looks like a gigantic drone. I’m really curious to see them enter service. The 2020s are coming up so sweet.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Impressive! I definitely want to try this thing out

2 Likes

Same here I’d love to fly a tilt rotor one day

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.