FAA renames KLAX approach waypoints after Kobe and Gianna Bryant

Effective today, the most used approaches into KLAX have new final approach fixes.

IMG_7490

Formerly JETSA and LIMMA, the FAA has renamed the final approach fixes for the Runway 24R and 25L ILS approaches to be KOBBB and JIANA, respectively - to honour the late Kobe and Gianna Bryant who tragically passed away in a helicopter crash with 7 others in early 2020 that I’m sure everyone remembers as a tragic day.

Personally, I think this is a well executed tribute to two wonderful people.

IMG_7150

93 Likes

I didn’t know this even has an LA resident! I think this is awesome. For once, the FAA makes us happy.

22 Likes

Wow… this is amazing. RIP Kobe & Gianna

4 Likes

A very nice gesture

5 Likes

Wow… rip Kobe.

5 Likes

What an amazing tribute. As @infiniteflight_17 said, for once the FAA did something right and made us happy.

4 Likes

Yes, this is a good move by the FAA remembering legends of the game.

2 Likes

This warms my heart to see. I’m sure that made their family’s day.

10 Likes

Los Angeles Tower, United 275 Heavy at JIANA, inbound on ILS 25L.

I imagine the day when I hear that over the frequency. What an amazing tribute. May Kobe, Gianna and the others onboard rest easy. 🙏

10 Likes

This is awesome to see, especially because I took that loss like I lost a family member.

1 Like

It truly was a brutal day - and listening to the ATC and understanding what happened just gave me chills. I’ll never forget this. So sad.

4 Likes

I love this! Rest In Peace 2 great legends.

Also, @Enigma may I use this for a school project that I’m working on in school about Kobe?

2 Likes

Of course, I feel like it’s not really my content - I was just relaying a story I didn’t yet see posted in the community.

I mean, I did take some screenshots and draw some circles - but hey… I had to do what I had to do… by all means you may use it as your own! :)

4 Likes

Props for the FAA. Some light in this dark world.

4 Likes

These updated waypoints should show up in-game in the next navigation update.

2 Likes

Very nice gesture from the FAA :)

All graphs aside, this is a very nice and respectable gesture.

13 Likes

An incredibly heartwarming, respectful gesture. Best thing I’ve seen from the FAA in a while!

@Kevinsoto1502 Check this out.

4 Likes

Much deserved. Mamba forever 💛💜

1 Like

Bro thats special. Kobe changed the way we look at him forever not just cause of his death and basketball but what he did off the court. This is a really touching thing by the FAA to do its a special way to go into LAX now!

5 Likes