FAA and the Military

Hey there guys, just a question.

Does the US Military have to follow FAA Regulations, for example, Speed limits, Because I’m sure a Blackbird cruising at Mach 3 would definitely be breaking FAA rules.
Any answers are appreciated.

3 Likes

I think this is something @Tyler_Shelton or @THE-OP can answer.

There is also a discussion here that I found:

5 Likes

The military does follow the FAA rules and regulations, however, the military has countless waivers to waive those rules in specific scenarios.

Additionally, the military has quite a bit of airspace in the form of Military Operation Areas (MOA), Controlled Firing Areas (CFA), Warning Areas, and Restricted Areas where a more militarized set of rules can be applied for the sake of training.

The military also uses defined training routes, both IFR and VFR, to conduct low-level, high speed training in otherwise restricted civilian areas for those sorts of operations.

21 Likes

For every rule is an exception. As @Tyler_Shelton pointed out many ways this is achieved for the military. As for aircraft with such high performance requirements, they have their own rules. Can’t maintain 250kts under 10,000ft due to performance requirements, guess what, there’s an exception to that rule.

Here’s something to ponder, when and why did the 250 rule come into place? First correct answer gets an internet cookie!

4 Likes

My first guess is noise complaints. I know nothing about anything so it’s probably wrong.

You’re first guess gets you zero internet cookies.

4 Likes

Did it come around the time of supersonic flight? Concorde, maybe?

Wow!! I have learned so much from this forum. It’s always cool to learn something new!

1 Like

My guess for the 250 knot rule would have to be the separation of trafficbased on there speeds. You don’t want a C172 flying 100 knots and a 737 flying at 300 knots on climbout come face to face and cause a midair collision. Since most Ga planes and smaller planes fly below 10.000.

1 Like

Sometime in the early 60’s I think, a DC-8 flying way too fast on approach to New York collided with a Super Connie at a high speed. Afterwards, they implemented a rule to keep everyone safe by setting a speed limit, which widely became accepted, for good reason.

Although there are some commercial exceptions to that, like the concord and some heavies at places like DFW.

I also believe this incident made it so all large jets require DME and VOR.

1 Like

My friends Dad once he had just gotten his liscense and was flying home and accidentally flew thru a military airspace he landed to go talk to the lady at the front desk about getting some gas she she said “Sir Segant___ with the USA Air Force is needing to speak with you.” And he didn’t get donors or anything just said he almost got shot down

Ding ding ding!!! Winner winner chicken dinner! Now go get that cookie!

To add onto the collision part, the aircraft traveling to fast blew through their holding pattern colliding with the other plane. If memory serves correctly, it happen in NYC.

2 Likes

Still no cookie… I’m sorry but the cookie has been given out now

2 Likes

For us in the Navy we have a chain of pubs we use. It goes FAA (7110.65), Navy/Marine (80T-114), then facility specific publications. There’s actually a section in the 7110 about this very question.

Got to love how the Everton Team logo pops up when you search up the FAA…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.