F-22, F-16 and F-14 range considerations

Ever since the release of global I’ve enjoyed flying the fighters cross country. Through trial and error I’ve learned how to get the longest range. To help everyone else out I thought I’d show what I’ve learned in some graphs to better explain. The F-22, F-16 and F-14 have different values but the graphs have the same trends. The F-18 seems to have a different basic flight model origin so I’ll ingnore in here.

Here you can see the fuel flow in the F-16 increases at the same rate until 90%n1 then increases at a new higher rate.

Below you can see that ground speed increases as you raise the n1%.

Since we know the fuel capacity we can calculate the range.

You can see that you get your best range at 90% n1 but the improvement between 80% to 90% is less than from 70% to 80%.

Below is the optimum altitude testing results I got in the F-22. Although I didn’t collect data for the F-14 or the F-16 I believe they will show the same altitude trend.

Please forgive the noise in the data. It’s hard to keep out all the variables. But you can still see the trend.

It’s also far more efficient to shut off one engine. You cut your fuel flow in half and only cut your ground speed by about 25%.

I had some great conversations with @Captain_Zen. He helped me work this out so I wanted to make sure I gave him credit. Here is the post that got it started the conversation. Optimal speed

8 Likes

That’s really awesome and useful.

You do only have to rework those when they get a rework! 😂

1 Like

Here’s for F-14. FL360 is the best altitude.

3 Likes

Very cool. I fly usually all three at FL350 or FL360 too. I focused more on the n1 than the KIAS(Same as KCAS, in the simulator we can assume it’s been calculated). Because you’ll notice once you find the optimum speed it will be right at or just under 90%n1. Once you know that 90% is best you can test other altitudes with the same N1 to see the difference. Every time I test I get slightly different results. It makes me crazy but it’s constantly somewhere most efficient between FL370-FL290.

Yeah lol. but it would be awesome if there were some real physics used in the flight models. Then we could use known equations to calculate the best way to get optimum range. — This below is from the Wikipedia page on drag.
Note that the power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) to overcome aerodynamic drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW).[16] With a doubling of speed the drag (force) quadruples per the formula. Exerting 4 times the force over a fixed distance produces 4 times as much work. At twice the speed the work (resulting in displacement over a fixed distance) is done twice as fast. Since power is the rate of doing work, 4 times the work done in half the time requires 8 times the power.

1 Like

I’ve also had range issues with some aircraft

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.