Extreme turbulence over Arizona

Never made this kinda topic before but I thought I would, it is a warning, I was flying KPHX-KLAS an hour ago and was around 18-27,000ft when there was extreme turbulence, the autopilot didn’t fail but the wings were flexing really fast, the Gs were goin crazy. Thank goodness I was in a 737-800, I believe if you were in a TBM or something like that the plane wouldn’t have been controllable. So stay out of the area north north west of Phoenix today.

Happy flying.

1 Like

Can confirm IRL, pretty bad winds in the area rn. Caused power outages last night.

I think there is a PIREP thread where you can put this but IDK where it is.

1 Like

Here it is:

2 Likes

Interesting. Never seen winds this bad over the area before. Y’all experiencing jet stream speeds at 24,000 feet.

1 Like

Well it wasn’t near the ground, it was 18,000-24,000ft.
And it may have been mountains because I was getting solid mod-sev turbulence with only 40kt winds then it increased to 121kt crosswind.

1 Like

@juan_tavares Yep! There’s that PIREP thread you can put it under. If you’re still flying and want to post it there but are not sure what the format means or you’re having trouble with it, feel free to pm!

2 Likes

Allright thanks don’t flag for closure though because I don’t think many people know about the pirep thread

Sure, but in general the winds across altitudes are similar in direction and usually if there is severe wind at one altitude, it’s somewhat intense at least at another.

1 Like

I mean more people will know about it if more people use it ;)

Just a tad bit of realism I like, that’s why I keep it alive

1 Like

Ya I’ll use it.

1 Like

Just went into the same area in a TBM it was BAD.

Oh yeah, a High pressure system is moving through. We got temperature drops of 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Wind here on the ground is 15-20mph gusting to 30mph

1 Like