Extreme IF Approaches #1 @KLGA

So, today I got the idea of going through some of the best IF approaches and share them with you, in depth.

This report, we are going to look at the “Expressway Visual RWY 31” @KLGA or LaGuardia in New York.

The link to the approach chart: http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/LGA/IAP/EXPRESSWAY+VISUAL+RWY+31/pdf

Since IF doesn’t have building/landmarks we have to use the Flushing Bay as our visual landmark. This is the water at the end of runway 31.

Step 1: Fly the ILS for runway 04 continue on the ils until you are halfway down the slope.

Step 2: Once you reach halfway down the glide, take a right turn for heading 85.

Step 3: Make the visual turn to make the runway centerline at at a 314 magnetic, 302 true heading.

Hope you enjoy! Please leave a comment if you would like more, or if you have any advice for me!

6 Likes

Just tried it

1 Like

How did it go?

It was fun and I greased the landing but I kind of struggled on lining up with the runway the first time and on the second go I was a bit low

1 Like

Nice. My first attempt involved a go around…

Made it safely at the first attempt.

:)

1 Like

Greased the first attempt.

This one here is my favorite.

2 Likes

I’ve done this many times (As I live in NY) :)

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Because of the proximity to KJFK.

5 Likes

Laurens, of course you greased it ;)

2 Likes

Mine as well. What a coincidence!

Hard… had to redo it a couple of times

2 Likes

Did it in a 748.

1 Like

I live right in between JFK and LGA, so when they do this approach they actually fly over my house so I know how to do it!

Oh how I hate when people do this use the real approach

You should make more of these! They are fun

1 Like