Extreme approach

Does anyone know of an airport with an extreme approach?

6 Likes

Lukla, Courchevel, Funchal, Paro, just to name a few.

16 Likes

KDCA has quite a cool approach, even if it isn’t very extreme

3 Likes

NZQN has a nice approach but not that extreme

4 Likes

Kai Tak Airport

5 Likes

VQPR is insane. Those final banks can be brutal.

9 Likes

Also, London City (Or eglc) has a quite steep approach that is fun

3 Likes

Reagan river approach, Kai tak, lukla, London city, and couchuvel i definitely spelled that wrong

2 Likes

Funchal, Innsbruck, Paro are some of my favourites!

4 Likes

Maybe Toncontin (MHTG) it’s a little hard

6 Likes

OPCH is very extreme

1 Like

LSGS (Sion). That is definitely the ultimate test.

2 Likes

SPGL is probably the most insane approach

17 Likes

05 approach is last minute turn onto final right next to the mountains

3 Likes

That exit taxiway - I thought they landed on road. It just looks like a runway turns at the end :))

But it really worth to try that approach in IF! Added to my must-crash list!

2 Likes

LSGS is worth trying because the scenery as you takeoff from 25 and climb is incredible! After departing straight out, turn left around FL180 and it looks incredible!

2 Likes

I’m not gonna tell you the most extreme approach ever, LSZA have a very steep angle of 6º65, more than the double of, for example, EGLL

Maybe the quality of the chart isn’t the best, but you can see roughly the steepest approach of the world.

Also, the descent rate, obviously increases directly proportional to the angle, so we would see less butterization (don’t start a war).

I think @Rocco knows airport way better than me, but to try…

Approach plate source: http://avherald.com/h?article=49344e2a

4 Likes

There are a lot of challenging approaches with tight turns just before final. However, Lugano (LSZA) stands out due to its high approach angle as @BinaryChess mentioned above. It is quite difficult to concentrate on the approach as the view over the lake of Lugano is amazing. It is one of the world’s steeps approaches if not the steepest even dough there are some exceptions in the United States (Space Centers and Steamboat Springs in Colorado). The approach into Aspen has an angle of 6.59° (0.06° less).

Until a few months ago Swiss operated there from Zurich (LSZH) with Austrian’s Dash or Adria’s Saab 2000 on a daily base until the airline decided to stop flying there (this was before the crisis). Now, the airport has still a lot of private jet traffic.

The Swiss IFATC would have loved to open the airport yesterday, but unfortunately, Lugano has no approach frequency implemented in Infinite Flight. And I am sure that every pilot here would like to fly an extreme approach guided by a controller. So instead, we opened Sion (LSGS) featuring an approach angle of 6° (0.65° less) which is only a few nautical miles to the west.

4 Likes

I honestly thought he was clipping a wing on that first mountain.

I’m gonna say Gibraltar because of the turbulence from that tall mountain near the airport and the runway is very short