Extend downwind

Does someone know what extend downwind is?

1 Like

Fly far downwind; don’t turn base right away.

1 Like

Used when flying in a pattern; if a controller wants to make more space for a takeoff he can use this to make you fly further before you turn, as Carson says.

2 Likes

So you mean: if I on downwind of a runway and an ATC said: Extend downwind, I have to stay on downwind till the ATC said turn base?

2 Likes

I personally use “I’ll call your base” then you don’t have to worry about when the pilot will turn base, you can call it for them:)

Fly longer than a normal period on downwind to ensure adequate separation between other aircraft.

No, you turn when you want, just extend farther than usual

Check your map to look for other aircraft, see if you can figure out why the controller is asking you to extend further downwind. If you see an aircraft has pulled into final and there’s enough spacing then you have extended downwind enough and you can turn

Oke. Thank you for the explanation. Finally I know now! :)

1 Like

Here’s more info if needed:)

1 Like

Pretty much means what it says. If you know how a pattern works you should work it out

1 Like

When a controllers calls the command when wants you to take control, turn whenever you want after the aircraft on final has passed, just make sure you make the turn so you have a slight bit of spacing.