"Extend downwind & Ill call your base" whats the difference?

I know what each one means but is there a situation when you would be told to extend downwind over “call your base”? I assume they are both ways of saying the same thing in regard to spacing?

I honestly don’t know the difference. I don’t use “extend downwind” because that is just a general term. How long do they extend downwind? 10 seconds? 30 seconds? Either way, “I’ll call your base” tells them exactly what your plans are. No confusion, no excuses.

2 Likes

Ive been thinking about it alot and cant figure it either :p I perfer extend downwind so I know to keep flying d/wind till further instruction. When tower says turn base after ill call your base I feel like I need to turn base really fast.

I agree with D Gee on that one

1 Like

Turn base does not mean you have to do it quickly.

Yea I know, just how it makes me feel lol. Ill call your base and turn base sounds more harsh than extend downwind

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

Extend downwind gives the pilot responsibility to decide when to turn base; as John said, it’s to create separation. With ‘I’ll call your base’ the pilot does NOT decide when to turn base; it will only be done when directed by ATC.

10 Likes

When told to "extend downwind, that simply means turn base a bit later than usual. In other words, extend the length of your downwind.

Now, in the title of this post you say “I’ll call your base”, but in the post itself you say “call your base”.

If you meant to say “I’ll call your base”, then actually no, their is no similarity. Simply because the controller says that he or she will call your base does not mean they will also extend your downwind. For all you know, they could call your base where you normally call your base, and the controller simply wanted to call base for you. Maybe they’ll call it short. You never know.

If you meant to say “call your base” then no, their is no similarity. Turn where you normally turn for base. Don’t extend your downwind unless instructed to. In some cases, downwind is a crucial part of spacing aircraft approaching to land, so you don’t want to mess up the controllers OCD system. LOL, jk.

1 Like

Thanks Joe and John 👌 I was meaning "Ill call your base in the post Max :smiley: the only reason I said are they similar is because to me it seems point less to say Ill call your base if you are getting them to enter base at the same time as normal ie 2 commands over 1

It is also used when there’s a line of departing aircraft and the controller wants you to be in the air for longer ;)

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation Max!

As Tower I have used Extend downwind + I’ll call your Base to try and get some spacing, and organise busy traffic in front of a runway, and from explanation I read that this is an ok way to do.this.

So I really hope many Pilots read it, as I’M being ignored by queue-jumping Pilots often :’(

1 Like

What Frick Infinite flight community for blocking this message