Expert Server ATC Tips

Hey guys, I am thinking about trying the test for ATC on the expert server. Kinda nervous. Any tips or tricks or what to expect will be well appreciated. Thanks

Well, to start off, do you know the basics of ATCing?

1 Like

Yeah. I have watched all the tutorials

1 Like

Follow directions and research what you don’t know. I might be interested in IFATC too and I’m researching everything.

2 Likes

Well, you should start off with an ATC tracking thread in order for other community memers to rate you controlling first. Example:

3 Likes

Watch the tutorials. That helped me a lot with my written exam.

1 Like

Have you practiced with a trainer? Also have you done some sessions in TS1? Open KONT or KSAN or KPSP. Practice=perfect. I got a %96 on my last chance to become an IFATC. All the ones prior I got mid 70s. Took me 2 years but it happened!

3 Likes

Good luck!

Really, that all you need to do. However, I’d recommend putting that into practice as @Aviator_Airbus said, make a Tracking thread, join the ATC Education Group, and start working on your skills.

1 Like

Hey! Really the best tip I can offer is to read all the ATC related tutorials for tower and ground, and especially those on sequencing. Know your transition altitudes. Ground awareness with give ways and hold positions are also very important. Here are a few tutorials that will help you.

The second one is exactly what you can expect at your IFATC practical. You should practice at airports with a set of parallel runways such as EDDL, KSSC, KVAD, OIIE and KLSV. At your practice sessions, I’d recommend having 2/4 people at your first one, but as you get more comfortable, add a few more each time. Once you can comfortably control 6-8 planes in the pattern, you’ll be ready for your test (usually will have 4/5 people at your test, but it’s always better to practice above the test to eliminate the testing nerves).

Good luck!
// Bluepanda900 IFATC Trainer

4 Likes

Congratulations! What do you mean by ‘open’?

Open up the station, or start controlling.

1 Like

@samdog27 by open he means becoming the ATC. Try smaller airports, such as KSNA and KLGB.

1 Like

Also, as I previously stated, the ATC education group is a great way to get feedback for your controlling. Check out their thread here:

2 Likes

The problem with those is that not many aircrafts come through. I have controlled heathrow on the training server which is a nightmare. I am worrying that they will throw me a curveball

Well thats why you should have a tracking thread @samdog27. So community members can rate your controlling.

1 Like

That’s why you should open a Tracking thread, so people know when you’re controlling and can stop by. Also (third time mentioning ;) ATCEG has a pilot database that you can notify when and where you’re controlling.

2 Likes

Do you open the thread at the start then close it at the end of your session?

1 Like

Yes you can. Here’s a little more about Tracking Threads.

2 Likes

All you have to do is put Open or Closed in the title of the thread, and put the airport your controlling at.

1 Like