Exiting runway

This is just a reminder

I’ve seen many people making this mistake. When a controller says to exit the runway you actually exit it. Do not stop with the back of the tail sticking on the runway!

This afternoon I was controlling on expert and there were quit a few that made the mistake.

Here are some examples of the mistake:

Here is an example of another person that continued taxing while contacting ground:

Not that this is much easier and better for the controllers and to expedite traffic!
Why???
Because if the tail is on the runway no one can use it for obvious safety reasons.

This is also valid for holding short at a runway!!
Here’s an example of what not to do:

Holding short actually means having no part of the plane crossing the line! It does not mean the wheel behind.
I was controlling yesterday and I saw this:

Now, the pilot had good intentions, but the cockpit is still on the runway, wich is *wrong.

Here are some great tutorials if you still don’t understand:

Remember this is really important!

HAPPY LANDINGS!

19 Likes

Good topic. Hope some people learn from this.

1 Like

Me too…
I mean this was in one hour of controlling…!

2 Likes

The last pic I really don’t know why he is doing that. There is no hold short line, therefore he cannot hold short there.

1 Like

There is it’s behind him

1 Like

Oh…I see. I was looking at the taxiway parallel to the one he was on lol.

1 Like

Thanks. I tried writing in bold the key words for lazy people. Hope it still looks ok and not just like a rough draft

2 Likes

Totally true! Looks like a lot of people need to see this tutorial

2 Likes

COUGH *[quote=“Captain_Zen, post:1, topic:169367”]
Because if the tail is on the runway no one can use it for obvious security reasons.
[/quote] COUGH

I think you mean SAFETY rather than SECURITY…?

1 Like

Sorry that’s the limit when you speak three languages and do a fourth at school…
Yes French is what I study and use in school not English

2 Likes

I have a question, you know that vertical stripe line before the horizontal line. Can your aircraft gear be touching it when your holding short of a runway?

I tought of problem de sécurité wich sounds like security

I can’t really understand what you’re referring to

Found the answer somewhere else. Thanks anyways :)

1 Like

I think some people never learn this, there have been many topics concerning this before all closed cause they were too old , but it‘s always good to give a little reminder, thanks for stating @Captain_Zen :)

2 Likes

NOTAM
Holding short actually means having no part of the plane crossing the line! It does not mean the wheel behind.
I was controlling yesterday and I saw this:

Now, the pilot had good intentions, but the cockpit is still on the runway, wich is wrong.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.