Excessive Topic Creation

Hello IFC. As I have been exploring the community I have noticed that some community members excessively post. You folks know who you are. Something needs to be done about these folks who create useless topics and clog the forum. I won’t publically shame anyone but this needs to be stopped.

What is considered Excessive Topic Creation?

From what I have noticed the people who I speak of create over four topics a week. Some folks have created more topics than the total number of days they have visited the site. These topics tend to be basic questions that have already been asked on the forum. A total of more than 8 topics a month is a bit crazy and extreme. Be mindful of how many posts you make a month.

What should be done to prevent this.

A basic search on the forum can be done to prevent an excessive number of topics on the forum. Most questions on the forum have been answered, if you can’t find an answer then feel free to ask. Moderators could also help too if you notice someone is creating a large number of topics, it would be great if you notified them on their behavior and politely asked them to stop. Enforcing a maximum number of topics that can be created in a month would create a large difference on the forum and prevent clogging.

Closing Remarks

So to conclude, for those who would be considered an Excessive Topic Creator, please just search the forum or ask a friend on the IFC. Creating over a certain amount of posts a month is just ridiculous. Hopefully, this post will help create new rules and stop those who excessively post. Thanks, everyone watch those total number of topics created.

33 Likes

Well said!

4 Likes

Hello, the forum has seen a huge incline in members due to the time on people’s hands because of covid 19. This is expected of this to occur since more people may be experiencing difficulties and are joining the forum and Infinite Flight as a whole. Members who join may be new and post more often than others since they may be new to the forum itself. I do like some of your message though!

9 Likes

I understand that but some folks just create topics that have been created already, if I have a question I do a basic forum search and boom I have found an answer and didn’t created a useless topic.

2 Likes

That would be the most ideal thing to do but some users are new and don’t know to search before they post as they can be new to the forum. The mods work hard in directing these people to the proper sources and topics to learn more about the forum and what they are inquiring about. It’s always a good reminder to search before you post though but there’s always going to be people who are unaware of this and that’s partly why we have mods to assist in that.

3 Likes

In my opinion the topics that show effort and commitment like @Ishrion’s are completely fine. He’s posted a lot, but I’m sure everyone looks out for his topics because of how well-written they are.

9 Likes

Well yes this is true but he has been on the Forum for a long time so the amount of topics created is understandable.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree with you more. Too many people use the IFC as Google and fail to use a simple search bar.

4 Likes

I can agree on useless topics, I personally don’t care of someone made 7 topics in a day asking a question about IF that is not in another topic. Plus I dont mine people who make a #screenshots-and-videos every day :)

But we all know who the people who make useles topics every day and they should be stopped.

Just my opinion :)

2 Likes

Is there a way to pin this to the front page of the IFC? I think it could do a big help.

3 Likes

I mean, unless the mods decide to, you could just bookmark the topic.

1 Like

I agree, things posted here outside of #support should be a matter of quality over quantity, as in support, you can’t change the topic of a support topic, you’d have to make a new one. Everywhere else, such as #live, #live:events, #screenshots-and-videos, #features, #real-world-aviation #live:groupflights #real-world-aviation:spotting, etc. are all a matter of quality or quantity, and some have limits as to how many you can post in a day. Aviation news comes and goes as it happens, events should be well thought out and planned, and not suddenly thrown together to make a sloppy mess. Features, you have to make quality requests, too little info, and they will probably closed, and you have to do research to make sure your topic isn’t a duplicate. In spotting, you don’t go spotting every hour. Usually it is 1-2 times a week at max. People should just let things come as they come to them, whether literally, like news, or metaphorically, like an event idea or a thought of some kind. They should not be forced.

Well said!

2 Likes

Yeah, and if you do go spotting every hour, you need to find a new hobby.

1 Like

I don’t think it should be our place as members to judge. There are many new users joining everyday(in these times even more due to COVID) and such topics may scare them off. Instead of just making a post, detailing what should be done, it is up to us, the longtime users, who are familiar with how the IFC works to help the new members, but lately this is not happening.
My theories on why this is not happening;

a) Fear of being seen as a minimoderator

This is a term that has been thrown around the community to shut down people attempting to help new members familiarise with the community, or even restore order. It has become too common to see such posts getting flagged as off-topic and immediately deleted. We have to admit that we’re humans and human is to error. There was a time that this community had a family vibe, members and mods looking out for each other, but all that has gone, poof! Out of the window. Instead this community has just become another version of twitter, do as you like until the mods(govt/lawsuits in the case of Twitter) intervene.

b) Users who simply don’t care
Again, a problem has many facets to it. In this case they’re users who simply don’t care. A user would see a topic x among the top 5 and try to make a new topic x talking about the same thing. This fortunately is well handled by the mods and some users who provide a link to the original topic.

c) Those who encourage blatant disregard of forum rules

These are usually the more prominent users who try to shut down any correction being offered to new users. This most of the times gives new users the perception that the IFC is a lawless forum hence encouraging such activities. See my point on minimodding above.

d)Users who fail to look at the forum guidelines

It is just like school, you can’t comprehend what you are unfamiliar with. These users usually operate without any clue despite most of them being seasoned users. This obviously leads to such occurrences where mods and other users have to intervene more often.

Comclusion

This post should not be used to target anyone specifically rather than to outline the systemic issues within the IFC that is contributing to such issues. This cannot and will not be controlled by imposing a limit on the number of topics created by a user, which in itself will lead to more issues and in general wouldn’t solve these issues.

As for the OP, as much as I may agree or disagree with some points in this topic, thanks for providing a forum to discuss such issues. Either way, good topic in general

I honestly don’t know how this post will be received by some users. Flag, comment, PM whatever you need to do, just ensure that there is an ethical reason behind your actions.

3 Likes

I agree with you. Well said.

1 Like

Dang, you said that perfectly! I cannot agree with you more!

I don’t completely disagree, however, this is also the second post of yours I’ve seen on the “recent” page within the last 24 hours… but anyway, I don’t disagree with what you said about the search bar, however remember the search bar is not always the most accurate. Patience is key when it comes to these posts. Remember, we have moderators and staff members for a reason. And even Regulars do some policing as well. Just be patient with your community members. If you see a post that has a title that makes it seem like a dumb post, then just don’t open it! 😁

1 Like

I’m sorry but look, you even did the exact same thing described in your own post yesterday!

9 Likes

Okay, yes I made that post, people make a post that are useless and get away with it. I apologize for that post and I take full responsibility that I made a useless topic and it will never happen again

Completely undermines the whole point of your post imo

3 Likes