Exactly 10 Years Ago, The First Boeing 787 Took Flight

Exactly 10 years ago on this day, December 15, 2009, the first Boeing 787 Dreamliner took flight:

(First 787 in Boeing’s Charleston Assembly Factory)

To this day, over 1400 787s have been ordered and over 900 have been delivered.

• There are about 60 airlines and 9 leasing companies operating or plan to operate the 787.

(All images by Boeing)

Can’t believe it’s already been 10 years.

Congratulations to Boeing!

33 Likes

Wow!

Great Topic!

1 Like

Awesome read! 787 is my favorite plane by far. I hop IF does an animated cockpit rendition one day.

2 Likes

Well dang, Time really does fly

No pun intended 🤣

1 Like

Wow 10 years already!? I remember watching this on the news when I was like 4!

1 Like

To date more than 1,400 787s have been ordered for 80 operators, and Boeing is filling those orders at a rate of 14 per month, carrying 480 million passengers to date. The aircraft has enabled 400+ completely new routes. 28 just this year. (Including one to PIT, so thanks… 😉) And saves as much as 25% fuel on those flights compared to other aircraft. Suffices to say the 787 has more than earned its place in the history books, it was the first aircraft to make widespread use of composite materials, almost reinvented the production process and has made countless other innovations.

1 Like

ANA being the largest operator and the launch customer! So happy :)

That Vistara tail looks fabulous, as well as the Etihad!

1 Like

Only 10 years and so many opportunities opened up. I can’t wait to see the 787 continue to serve airlines for its reliability and efficiency. I think that the 787 is the new 747, but focusing on efficiency rather than space/comfort.

1 Like

I remember this being such a big day for my dad who works at Boeing.

1 Like

My favorite of many new flights the 797 has allowed this last decade…

The 787 was and is such a revolutionary plane, opening up flight that were once never possible and giving smaller airports international access. Here’s to another successful 10 years.

1 Like

Definitely. Just to name a few routes the 787 has opened off the top of my head:

American Airlines:

• Los Angeles to Auckland & Christchurch
  • Dallas/Fort Worth to Dublin & Munich
  • Chicago to Prague, Budapest, Krakow, Athens, Venice, Barcelona

British Airways:

• London Heathrow to San Jose, Charleston, Pittsburgh, Austin, Nashville, New Orleans.

United Airlines:

• San Francisco to Papeete, Melbourne, Osaka, Chengdu.
  • Newark to Cape Town.

ANA:

• Tokyo Narita to San Jose

Japan Airlines:

• Tokyo Narita to San Diego, Dallas/Fort Worth, Boston

EL AL:

• Tel Aviv to Las Vegas and Orlando

Qantas:

• Brisbane to Chicago and San Francisco

There’s still a ton more. These routes honestly may not have been feasible without the 787.

2 Likes

I am so glad the B787 Dreamliner is the way she is! She allowed for long hauls from SJC to be possible! :D

Here’s to another 10 years! I really want to fly on one soon

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.