Evolution of the Display Name

This is very interesting! I am excited to see this implemented!

Will an Infinite Flight subscription be required to create a Forum account now?

I wonder what you will have to do if you are in a VO that requires you to have their name in your display name, what if you are in multiple that requires you have that? ex IPP or IFAE

5 Likes

This will be covered in the release notes.

The ability for you to manually type your display name is being removed. It will be replaced with your IFC name if you choose to link the two.

5 Likes

No, you do not need to.

2 Likes

Roger, thanks

1 Like

I’m gonna miss the good ol’ display name, but this is a nice change for sure!

Well done everyone on the IF team for keeping this sim awesome!

2 Likes

Does it mean people will have a button to message the IFATC after he ghosted you (if they connected an account)? Will be so nice to have it tbh

3 Likes

Do the “user12345” Display Names disappear as well?

4 Likes

What if someone doesn’t have an IFC account? How will we see their display name? I have a friend who isn’t on IFC but always has the same display name. How would I recogznize him?

2 Likes

Mixed feelings when I first thought about the change but I‘m sure later on it will be better when we got used to it. Just as the new UI we got with 19.4.

2 Likes

Question, because IFAE and GAF correlate with each other and since GAF is embedded in IFAE can we expect to see IFAE-GAF or just IFAE and GAF separately? This is pertaining to the VO Matter.

3 Likes

I think they’re still tweaking it. All the info you’ll need will come with time

1 Like

That’s a concern I raised earlier in my comment. Some people want a display name, but don’t necessarily want an IFC account, so it doesn’t feel right kind of forcing them to have an IFC just to get that little name tag

4 Likes

Awesome, but what if you are in more than one VO?

3 Likes

How will this prevent people using accounts they dont own? It just looks like you type in your @

Cool, this is a much needed change!

1 Like

You will need to login to your account to link it

8 Likes

We’re certainly not forcing anyone, though I’d argue you’re not getting the most out of your Infinite Flight experience if you’re not here.

That said, we can’t have it both ways and the display name has been on borrowed time for many years. The community aspect is our driving force which made the connection of our pilot HUB (IFC) and the app itself a no brainer. The execution itself was simply expedited by the need to continuously provide our users with a safe place to enjoy aviation, free of vulgar names, harassment, discrimination, and the other unfortunate baggage that can sometimes accompany a Global online community.

13 Likes

Kind of saw this coming 50/50, since over the course of years, there has been some very few people copying others’ IFC name and used it as their own Display Name, or having a name which is the polar opposite of the their IFC Username making it ever-so incredibly difficult and time consuming to fin them here.

This change, of course means, for me personally, I can’t add Merry X-Mas or Happy New Year during those times, as my display name, neither can I add info such as, for an example; Ferry Flight, but I guess that isn’t necessary and we can all give one another holiday greetings via IFC as usual, so this change, I do believe will benefit in the long run, especially for those massive spotting sessions I do on IF, I can for once spend less time searching for certain usernames, and have more time to spot uninterruptedly.

7 Likes