Ever missed your flight?

Now you can own up and get the embarrassment out into the open! Or wasn’t it your fault?

I have missed two flights: one early morning from LHR T2. I had stayed at the T4 Premier Inn with its great views of 27L expecting breakfast and a leisurely stroll to the tube, speedy passage through security and a sit down at the gate. I took far too long over breakfast, the travelators between T3 and T2 weren’t working in my direction and the usual gate for my flight had been switched to T2 satellite gates. Missed boarding by 1 minute!

You would think I would have learned my lesson but recently I missed my return BA flight from Luxembourg to LHR. Again I had planned well (so I thought) and had allowed several hours to do a good amount of spotting from the lounge (I have Priority Pass membership.) I had checked with the lounge that it would be ok to “sign in” twice which meant I could be in there for the nine hours before my flight was due. However, security wouldn’t let me through despite me explaining the lounge access thing. So I did some spotting from the cafe and finally got through security with five hours to go. I was very happy and so enjoyed the refreshments in the lounge quite a lot, but not at all to excess. I went and joined the queue for my gate only to find what thought was my gate number was actually my seat number! Such a plonker! Hurried to the non-Schengen area to find that as boarding had just closed for my flight, passport control were also packing up and so I couldn’t pass through.

All totally my own mistake and because I wasn’t angry or frustrated with anyone I was given the opportunity to use one of his six annual family tickets by a splendid guy. Ended up paying €80 instead of what should have been €400 for the non-staff ticket. How lucky was I? And with an uncomfortable night spent on a bench inside the terminal I really think I won’t miss a flight again.

I feel better for admitting all this. Now it’s your turn!!!

5 Likes

Ouch!! That’s rough lol Man you had a bad day I’m sorry this all happened!

4 Likes

Had a close call, anyways…
Yesterday I read the boarding pass wrong. It said 5:15 on it so I assumed boarding starts at 5:15. So me and dad are in the restaurant and our flight is supposed to start boarding in five minutes as it’s 5:10. So I walk over there and I’m looking around like guess this is an empty flight, and the gate agent goes are you Kevin? And I’m like yeah? and she’s like we tried to page you but anyways the gate closes in five minutes. So I sprint back to get my dad who is still at the restaurant and we run back to the gate.
My original boarding position, this was Southwest, was B8 which is amazing. But we boarded last and both got middle seats at the very back of the plane. At least we didn’t miss the flight.

5 Likes

The only time I missed a flight was when I was with the Army, we got to Chicago to get on the jet and we landed right as they were boarding, the Army booked me to close, got to enjoy a lounge though!

3 Likes

Never but been pretty close a lot of times

3 Likes

Thankfully I haven’t but I had the pleasure of “consoling” a poor friend who did…well when I say consoling I really meant mocking.

5 Likes

Not me but my dad:

Driving to Denver International for a quick flight up to Wyoming. As he starts to get in to the parking lot he realizes he’s got to go pee. No big deal. He drives into the parking garage and starts to look for a parking space, no luck on the first floor, second floor, third, fourth, fifth. After wasting 30 minutes in the parking garage, with an hour left before his flight, now he’s really got to go. He heads out into the economy lot to look for a space there, 20 minutes later, still no luck. At this point it’s crunch time. He decides he can’t hold it no more and books out of the lot and towards the final approach gas station, which is like a mile from the terminal. Now that he’s relieved himself after driving 60 mph down Pena Blvd towards the gas station. He heads back to the terminal with 20 minutes until flight time. This time he decides to bite the bullet and pay for valet parking. He runs to the boarding pass kiosk and through security, 10 minutes to flight time. But then he has to wait for the dreaded DIA train, which finally comes after what seems like an eternity. As he gets off the train he runs up the escalators to the gates and across the entire B terminal towards the regional gates, only to find out they closed the door one minute before he got there! After that, he decided to cancel his trip and just come home.

Those of you that know KDEN may find this more entertaining.

4 Likes

Funny story actually…

We were about to fly back from China to the good ol’ US of A. Our route was FOC-CAN-JFK. Well, the weather wasn’t working in our favor. The flight from FOC-CAN was delayed. By the time we actually arrived at CAN, we missed our connection to NY. So we had to stay in a hotel for a night. Our new route out from CAN was CAN-LAX (in an A380!) And then LAX-JFK. Got on hour flight to LAX. Arrived at LAX. WHOOPS! We missed out connecting flight to NY. Sigh. Had to stay another night, then finally boarded a Delta 767 to JFK. (We had the absolute worst landing).

5 Likes

My dad missed a flight from Memphis to
Dallas.(I believe)

2 Likes

My dad was trying to make a flight from ATL -> SDF and missed it (he wasn’t booked on it though) and had to wait for the 10pm flight he was originally booked on…

2 Likes

We were in San Francisco for a transfer flight to somewhere in Montana (idk I was a young foolish child I forgot) and we had to rush through the airport to get to our next flight but then we MISSED IT THANKS TO OUR PREVIOUS AIRLINE DELAYING OUR FLIGHT TO SAN FRANCISCO.
It’s ok though I was able to check out San Francisco. Liked it there!

2 Likes

Denver’s train is awful…security there is awful too. Unless you do bridge security, then it’s pretty good and timely.

2 Likes

What is bridge security

2 Likes

They’re renovating so that the security is on the same level as check in.

2 Likes

Oh I’ve never been to kden

2 Likes

You should it’s great

1 Like

Instead of the normal security, you stay on the same level as check in and you go over the bridge where aircraft can pass under you and across the bridge is security

2 Likes

But I want to go sometime

3 Likes

Denver really is a great airport but it’s just a little confusing sometimes

2 Likes

Yeah, now that they’re renovating, security will be before you go down the escalators in the corners, the current security will be turned into restaurants, and they’ll get rid of bridge security

2 Likes