I’ve got a thought for a new type of event on Expert server, for which I would appreciate feedback from pilots and IFATCs.
The thought behind the event is based on the idea that it’s nice for a pilot that your destination airport is staffed. How about IFATC would open up, just to catch the inbounds that are about to arrive?!
We’ve got some awesome events, and creative ideas in our weekly IFATC schedules, and we have many active controllers. But who focuses on the pilots who participated in a fly-out event, on their way to many airports in the region or world; or the pilots who were brave and decided to set course to a non-hub airport. My idea is to try to ensure that, by the time they get there, the airport is staffed.
See the picture below and count the number of pilots who are less than 60 mins out of their destination airport.
How about an event, or some other procedure, where we go and search for pilots that are up to 45 or 60 mins out of their destination, and make sure an IFATC has opened open up to ‘catch them’ when they arrive.
Obviously we would set some rules and guidelines for an event such as this.
- a little ‘opposite thinking’ is needed: this is not to attract or create traffic, but to catch traffic already there
- how long would a controller keep the airport open (maximum and minimum time)?
- would en event like this come in addition to a normal IFATC Schedule day, or another event, such as a fly-out? Or would it be on its own?
- would we only have Tower and Ground services, or would we include radar services as well?
- how do we avoid that all pilots fly to the one hub airport (again)
- what to do with the obvious airports, such as KSFO, KLAX, OMDB, EGLL, etc
If this a good idea? Is it do-able? What are the pros and cons?
Would you open for 45 mins, to ‘catch’ two or three pilots?
Looking forward to a good chat about this!