Ethiopian Cargo 737 landed at wrong airport!

Since I couldn’t find the news that just came out here on IFC forum , I thought I share another bizarre incident that happened a couple of days ago where an Ethiopian 737 landed at an airport under construction in Zambia!
Not a good day for the pilots👷👷‍♀️🚧🇿🇲🤷‍♂️

Here is the news and a video to go with it!

5 Likes

Makes me think of that one C-17 in Tampa, quite interesting. Nice topic!

5 Likes

And that Boeing Dreamlifter somewhere…

2 Likes

I remember that too haha 😂

2 Likes

And me landing at Beijing Daxing instead of Pudong in IF…

1 Like

😂 At least its not under construction
I feel more sorry for the pilots, it’ll be interesting to see what will happen to them after an investigation is concluded.

1 Like

Saw this already lol. Apparently another ETH plane tried to land there but went around on the same day.
Don’t think this belongs in #real-world-aviation:spotting

1 Like

I’ve tried to change spotting but it wouldn’t allow me to @xsrvmy
I thought the take off towards the end in the video was abit too close for my liking but I guess for the contractor it’s something to tell a cool story lol

I’m still confused as to how anyone could possibly land at the wrong airport.

You have eyes, right? Good, use them. Little fog in the way? Ok, you’ve got a multimillion dollar aircraft that can fly that approach for you.

1 Like

Ya, it should be in #real-world-aviation but since that requires approval it has to be originally posted to that category or moved by a moderator. The person who posted it, and TL3 members can not move it after it’s been posted. I’d bet a mod will see it and move it though since it’s a good topic.

1 Like

I used to do that fairly often Pre-Global, but I don’t get paid

1 Like

I am gobsmacked as well @nativetoalaska
It even got cross markings on end of runway to indicate runway is not in use. Why did they not do a g/a?
Serious questions for the pilots. Thankfully it’s a rare occurrence

1 Like

I’m a bit worried about how common this is, happens at least a few times per year. Only a matter of time until something goes even more wrong

1 Like

You’re probably talking about ET-AQP, that loop really looks like they made a last minute go-around

1 Like

Did I flag your post @Pilot_Felix? Apologies if I did, it meant to be for my post 😂

You can see the confusion where the construction airport is and further out Ndola airport hence for the error in landing at the wrong airport. Thanks @Alexander_Nikitin for the link!

Yes I saw that earlier today
Don’t know what the pilot was doing

1 Like

Thank you, I very much agree.

You are literally flying a multi-million dollar airplane and you can’t even figure out how to use the navigation system? smh

1 Like