ETA to destination

Hey IFC, I just started a flight from Dallas to Sydney and the ETA says I’ll arrive in 14 hours. I know that this is a 17 hour flight. So is the ETA completley wrong, or is it the actual flight time.

1 Like

Winds can play a significant factor in the length of your flight. It is most likely fluctuating because of that reason. Also, what is your speed?

1 Like

It just goes based on your speed but you will slow down and winds will change so it will be longer than 14 hours.

540 knots ground speed

Mach speed?

1 Like

M.86 barely

Try slowing down to 0.85, it’s a bit more standard for the A380. That may tack on 30-40 minutes at best.

1 Like

Added 7 minutes to the ETA

Once you are much closer towards the New Zealand/Australia area, you’ll probably see headwinds go as fast as 150kts because I’ve experienced flights with that kind of headwinds flying towards those areas.

1 Like

True! Look at this!

Source: windy.com

2 Likes

This issue like @Thunderbolt said, is dependent on

• Location (Oceania or North America)
  • Speed
  • Winds
    *weight

Eventually, it will change, I say don’t trouble yourself, let the long haul proceed with your estimated time, and then, if you’re worried about descent use NM. I got this from a website called https://airplanemanager.com/flightcalculator.aspx.

1 Like

Alright thanks everyone

@KindaTartySliceOfPie I just did a flight to Sydney yesterday from LAX, at the start it said only 12 hours in length, but as I approached Australia like others said, the winds kicked up a lot and increased my flight time to almost 15 hours

1 Like

With a flight that long a tiny change in speed leads to a huge change in ETA.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.