Erickson Skycrane involved in arsonist attack

Sad news The Erickson Skycrane known as “Camille” was involved in an arsonist attack while operating in Chile.

“We have confirmed a group of unidentified individuals entered an Erickson operating base in Chile last night. After gaining entry to the secure area, they caused damage to the Erickson owned S-64 Air Crane® helicopter located there. No Erickson employees were hurt. Erickson personnel are cooperating with local police.” stated an Erickson spokesperson.
The Skycrane was in Chile supporting operations from this past fire season.

13 Likes

Arsonists just make me angry… 😠

2 Likes

Its a pretty messed up situation, one pilot said they held one of the crew members at Gun point

1 Like

Wow looks real bad 😔.

BTW
This rule for #real-world-aviation no articles about crashes ☹

As it is an unfortunate truth that there are many small aviation incidences on a daily basis. We ask that you refrain from posting about these on the forum. This is due to the volume of topics we would otherwise get that would clog up the forum and dilute productive discussion of other topics.

Not a crash, just your local rotor news.
if you have an issued please feel free to message me about this.

Okay understand. They are two differences, but feel like this isn’t the place. Anyways… 👊

I’ll message you more since we’re now off topic of the Skycrane Arsonist attack.

1 Like

People these days…

Sad to see. Hopefully she can be repaired soon and back in the sky.

2 Likes

Hoping she can fly! That’s really rough a lot of craziness has happened in Chile from the last year has taken place with the Rotorwing community

1 Like

Doesn’t look like a total loss. However all new cockpit and avionics won’t be cheap. I sure hope they bring her back as well. That airframe is too unique and special to discard.

1 Like

Thankfully Erickson owns the type certificate to the S-64 and they have the ability to recreate the Cranes!

Very true! They haven’t made any new ones in a long time though right? Would LOVE to see them pump out some new ones.

I saw one land and refuel at KRTS when I was working on my PPL. The 172 I was flying was tiny next to that big orange beast. By far the coolest Heli I have ever had the pleasure of watching.

Theres a few new ones! They just built some for the Koreans!

1 Like

That’s so sad. Such a great helicopter to go to waste like that. Do you know why the arsonists did it?

1 Like

Its still being under investigation the pilot Ive been talking to said they think they know who it was

Ah, I see. Thanks for the information. That’s why I love this forum, it’s a great way to get the latest in aviation news. (And it’s fun!!)

1 Like

Best news I have seen all week! So awesome, thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.